Remove Override switch 74LT

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by 74cam_mojo, Aug 12, 2008.

1. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

Is there a way to dump the override switch on my 74 LT????

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What's an "Override Switch"?

3. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm going to guess it's the clutch interlock, or a neutral safety switch.

4. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

yeah thats it / It's a cutoff switch (circuit breaker like with a reset button) that drops the current to starter and or IGN, (dont recalll) if you violate the above... The reset buton on mine went south and Im using a jumper wire.

Just to clean things up I wanted to know if anyone ever bypassed it and how.

Thanks

5. GetMore

GetMore Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The simple way would be to use a pair of spade terminals with a wire connecting them, and install this jumper in place of the switch.
    The interlock should be installed on the wire to the starter, so the starter will not engage while the car is in gear.

6. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

what I did was dump the O/R sw,. and follow ( to a degree ) the 76 wire dia. since 76 didnt have it and ran new wire!

7. RacingRob

RacingRob Veteran Member

4-speed or automatic?
    He must be talking about a 4-speed, 'cause my '76 Vette for sure had a neutral safety switch for the auto tranny.
    No clue what he means about having a "reset button" though.

RR

8. spoonLT1355

spoonLT1355 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

that is a 74 only system I believe that he is referring to. It is a seat belt interlock system.
    There is a reset button in the engine compartment IIRC.

9. Jazzy14u

Jazzy14u New Member

Seatbelt Relay

My 74 Coupe has that same switch and i removed the factory seatbelts and seats, I have not removed the relay but as faras i know it is still hooked up and all is good. Can anyone tell me if the neutral safety switch is in the shifter on the floor or in the colum? My rod that goes from my shifter linkage on the trans is missing and it moves the colum to show what gear it is in. It has a b&m shifter in it and it has no neutral safety switch.

10. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

O-ride switch and Neutral switch

Correct and correct again! It’s a 4-Speed conversion. The Override Sw as it’s called in the wiring diagrams is as you say, part of the seatbelt interlock system and located as you say. The box that covers it has a button on top much like the primer button on a lawn mower.

I reckon that if you tried to start the car w/o seatbelt buckled either once or maybe multiple times the O-ride switch would eventually disrupt the circuit enough to where the only way to start it would be to pop the hood hit the reset button. Although my SBIS was disconnected under the dash it still presented a problem when it wouldn’t fire one day and I could not figure out why, only to find the reset button must of got hosed and was solved by installing a 2 inch jumper wire in the switch itself.

Regardless it’s a crapload of unnecessary wiring I don’t want so I made new wire/s to bypass it. Haven’t installed the new engine yet but I’m confident it will start, if not I know where to look.

My neutral switch, is located on a brace right above the clutch / Brake pedal arm assy. It’s a white box about 2” x 1.5” and has a plunger type are that attaches to the top of the clutch pedal with a 3 spade terminal. Hope this helps.

"Don't bend over in the garden granny, them taters got eyes"