removing kickpanel's

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by bowtie1, May 29, 2008.

1. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

The passenger side kick panel WILL come out without having to pull the heater box. I've pulled out at least 10 sets of AC kick panels from second gens (Camaros and Trans Ams) at the pick-a-part and have never had to remove the heater box.

2. 77RS

77RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cool... I've got to pull the kicks out of an 80 TA. I was dreading pulling the heater box :D

3. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

I have read the thread and honestly find it hard to beleive that a passenger side AC kick panel can be pulled without removing the heater box.. I tried all afternoon to wiggle it out.. there is only 2.5-3" before it hits the heater box while the plastic vent goes ~5-6" into frame. I was surprised how big it was on the inside.. does the plastic separate or something? ...because I dont see anyway for it to slide out and at a minimum would take some serious force.

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Tokyo,

My 78 is a heater only car and yes, that pass side kick panel takes some work to get in/out.
    I had to use a phillips bit in one of those gear wrenches ratcheting crescents to get the
    firewall screws in / out. It's not fun, but yes, you can get it in and out.

You have to use a nice thick bead of duct seal to reseal it from the cowl drain off too.
    Trust me, I had to redo mine 2x and that's NOT fun to do. Sometimes when
    you squish it back into it's place, the duct seal hides the screw holes too. :screwup:

No, that's the stringy stuff, and your car is never outdoors so you really will never know how bad it is. :crazy:

The putty you want is in Home Depot but it's called Duct Seal and it's in the
    electronics department by the Ideal electrical connectors. I have a picture
    I posted, or Terry posted of it somewhere. This is EXACTLY like thick factory
    duct sealing putty they used on our cars.

Here it is.
    http://www.airgunrendezvous.com/rendezvous/read.php?2,6512,6652
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  5. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

I used windshield butyl to put mine back in. Did not have to pull the heater box.

6. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Where were you last month when I put my kickpanels back in? :eek:

I used the 3M black strip stuff to make the weatherproof seal. Hope it holds up!

[​IMG]

It LOOKS nice...guess I'll try a leak check with compressed air this week...

[​IMG]

Oh, and on the pass side, only one screw is difficult to get at...unless you use the right tool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^ Hey FLAJUNKIE whats all that shinny stuff on your floor and dash?

8. FlaJunkie

MegaMat.

I bought two rolls of it to insulate the inside of the car. I put it where it would seem to fit, including parts of the roof. I have enough left to do the two doors, and maybe some of the trunk.

9. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

Here is a pic that shows how far the AC vent goes into the frame of the car.. It goes in another inch or so, so about 6 inches and right now is hitting the heater box and glove box. I have tried for 3-4 hours to remove, so I am wondering how you guys that claim to have no problem are removing the AC kick panels. One person in the thread claims to have removed many sets with no problem, but are you really talking about the panels on an AC car?

Feeling pretty stupid that I cant figure this one out. Any enlightment would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

thanks

mike

10. FlaJunkie

I must admit, I have no dash in right now, but I do have a heater box. The dash probably makes the difference.

If everyone agrees, you could remove the lower dash and glove box to completely access the kick panel.