removing kickpanel's

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by bowtie1, May 29, 2008.

1. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

That person is me and yes I know the difference between A/C and non A/C kick panels and yes there is no need to remove the heater box. But do what you have to do...

Have you detached the lever arm from the vaccum pump to the flapper door on the kick panel? The pump is bolted to the body of the car with two 3/8 bolts. It can be removed after the kick panel comes out. If still attached via the actuator arm then the kick panel wont come out. Otherwise the kick panel can be cojoled, coaxed, manouvered, whatever... out.

2. Tokyo Torquer3

Tokyo Torquer3 Veteran Member

Sal,

the vacuum pump for the flapper door is completely disconnected and sitting in a box next to the car. You can see in the pic how long the plastic piece is going into the car body and it is still sitting in there another good inch. I have been cajoling it for several ours trying to find the secret that others have found, but I dont see anyway of getting it out without breaking plastic or removing things under the dash namely the glove box and heater box..

mike

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

My car is pretty much idled for now so tonight I'll take some pics or record it for you. Not sure if I can get the recording part to work but I'll try and see if my kids can help me put it on YouTube. They're smarter than me in that regard. lol

4. Tokyo Torquer3

I wanted to provide some feedback to help the next guy that has the same issue. I just got the passenger side kick panel out after two weeks (kept walking away and coming back to it). As it sat, there was no way it was coming out unless I removed some stuff under the dash and the trick was removing the glove box liner. You dont have to remove the heater box, but as far as I am concerned, the glove box must come out. Once I did that, you lift up slightly so the panel lip just clears the sheetmetel and then pull the bottom of the panel down and out. takes a little wiggling and maneouvering, but it will come out if you just remove the glove box liner.

mike

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glove box did the trick, eh? Good for you!

6. Yellow Jacket

Yellow Jacket Veteran Member

BS on the heaterbox.. I just pulled my kick panel off without removing the heater box. And i did not break the panel..

And a great sealer is "3M Strip Calk"

The hardest part is unhooking the upper cowl vent cables..

7. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, that's the name of the stuff I used...

[​IMG]

8. Tokyo Torquer3

If you are talking about the cowl vent cables, you may have missed the point that this was only an issue with the panels for AC cars as they go much, much deeper into the bodywork and much harder to remove. See the picture in my previous post on how far it goes into the bodywork.

9. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used the Duct Seal putty like Aces stated above, when I did my kick panels a few months ago. I used not quite 1 1/2 sticks. The stuff is only like $2 a stick at Home Depot.