removing/repairing torque boxes

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
Has anyone here ever removed the floor support/ torque box where the front leaf spring mount bolts into? I have to do some re-constructing on mine. I could patch them on the car but I've been thinking about pulling them off to a) make it easier to repair and b) kill the rust inside. What do you guys think? they aren't that bad, even if they made replacements I'd probably still use mine they just need some love around where the framerails were

some pics of the driver side. this one has a bonus mouse house inside

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2177.jpg

buildinmy73

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2007
Bernardston, MA
i have some donor torque boxes if u need them if your going to go throught the trouble of taking them off y not just replace them. PS they are not repo'd

bitchin'71SS

Veteran Member
Sep 10, 2009
Poughkeepsie, NY
73, PM'd you.

So no one here has ever removed these things?? I can't tell if there are tons of spot welds or not because of the rust, It'd be cool if someone had some pics.

Thanks,

Andrew

buildinmy73

Veteran Member
Oct 20, 2007
Bernardston, MA
there are alot of spot welds moste are where the floor is spot welded to the top of it the only thing is that if u remove them very critical that they go back iin same spot as there part of the structure of the car def make sure the car is square and level before u remove anything. some temporary bracing would be a good idea and tons of measurements

Latest posts