Removing the hard seam sealer

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Mr Sunshine, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

What's the best way to remove the hard white seam sealer between the cowl and the firewall? 20180120_162654.jpg

2. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

I've had to use a sharpened, shortened putty knife. Haven't tried a sharp bladed multi-tool or air chisel, but I'll bet either would work. Or I get close to it with a picture of Rosie ODumbell. That will make anything go soft.

Coadster32 likes this.
  3. Mr Sunshine

I'm scraping with different hand tools, putty knife and chisels etc. I think I will try a wire wheel next weekend and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well I'll try a picture of Rosie!

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

You don't want to want to destroy it with that! LOL. May try a propane torch. heat it and dig it out. Then wire wheel.

5. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Wire wheel in a die grinder should clean it out, will get the metal bare too.

6. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Wire wheel in a die grinder should clean it out, will get the metal bare too.

7. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

I've used a 5 way putty knife. Sharp and very stiff and will stand up to a hamm 20180123_075913-1.jpg er. Eye protection and gloves are a must.

Attached Files:

8. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

9. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

I bought a oscillating tool from harbor freight, sealant just peals away does not become air borne
    https://www.harborfreight.com/power...iable-speed-oscillating-multi-tool-63111.html.
    great for removing ziebart and dried joint filler. I use the 3/8 bi metal blades with teeth in close areas
    https://www.harborfreight.com/power...n-bi-metal-multi-tool-plunge-blade-61810.html
    1 1/8 in bi metal blade with teeth
    https://www.harborfreight.com/power...n-bi-metal-multi-tool-plunge-blade-61812.html
    and rigid scarper
    https://www.harborfreight.com/power...eel-multi-tool-rigid-scraper-blade-61828.html
    here is a picture of how well it cleaned IMG_3244.JPG

10. Mr Sunshine

The $40 HF tool sounds like a good option. I know eastwood also has an electric rotary tool that works good for this and costs $200. And I'm usually the guy that if I need the tool I buy the tool, but it seams like I've been spending more on tools lately that on my car so looking to avoid another high dollar specialty tool.

So if I torch this stuff will it just burn-off? As hard as it is I can't imagine that it would turn soft again, but I guess I can give it a try, nothing much to lose.