Replace Bent Crankshaft

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by reinhardt79, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

I doubt you have steel crank, a cast crank would have broke the snout off. Cast doesn't bend very much, it just breaks.

2. SPRTN308

SPRTN308 New Member

This is ridiculous. I did the same thing a couple weeks ago putting my car on caster plates to tuck it up against the wall. I was advised the same thing by a co-worker, and have already pulled everything off as I am doing the cam anyways. New flywheel and Damper are in my summit cart, just haven't placed the order yet.

3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I dropped a 350 from about 4 feet up from cherry picker back in 2002. The lock I was using on the chain broke and down went the engine. Crushed the oil pan and the crank pulley pretty good. The engine was perfectly fine, put a new pick-up and pan on it as well as a pulley and all was good. I agree, it would take a lot to bend the snout of the crank. A cast crank would have broke if anything.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

We need to start a support group

5. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

Just got done pulling the balancer and checking run out on the crank. Straight as an arrow. I did a very crude check on the balancer on my weld table. Set the balancer on the table, clamp the dial indicator to the table top resting against the face of the balancer. I then rotated the balancer and observed the dial indicator. Based on this crude check the balancer is straight too. When I checked the crank pulley in the same fashion it appears it is out by 0.030" or so.

SO, here's the new question: How much run out is too much for the crank pulley? I can see the pulley wobbling when the engine is running. Is it putting a strain on the crank bearings or the front seal on the crank? Can I straighten the pulley out or should I get a new one?

I did a search of the forum before posting and found several threads about a jack slipping off the frame onto the crank. I plan to build an adapter of some sort to go into the hole in the frame rail and my jack positively locking the two together. I can weld and fabricate so it shouldn't be too bad to whip something up.

6. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

Replace the pulley and put this thread to bed.

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I seriously doubt that you damaged the crank. I jack up engines by the balancer all the time when pulling the oil pan and have never had an issue. The front of the crank is like a battleship and the pulley is like tin foil compared to it. Most of the factory pulleys wobble anyway.