Replace sub-frame or upgrade

SBnBOTL

Veteran Member
May 13, 2008
USA
Basically im starting to do some suspension research and was wondering, is it better to go with a replacement subframe or to use the stock subframe and put goodies on it. what are the pros and cons to each method? thanks in advance

m pozzi

Staff member
Apr 9, 2002
Central California, USA
In a nutshell ... $$$$$$. The main problem the stock subs have is not being able to fit a decent sized wheel and tire in there. If you have the coin to spend, there are some very cool aftermarket subframes with companion suspensions available for our cars.

On the flip side, a stock subframed Camaro can be made to handle great and if you're not gonzo-wild with horsepower and torque, you'll be fine going this route.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

SBnBOTL

Veteran Member
May 13, 2008
USA
Thanks Mary, now its time to start reasearching parts. when you say too much power how much is too much for a stock subframe to handle with? im planning on building a beasty 496, will that be too much?

warped

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
what are your plans for the car? If nothing more than an over the top cruiser, you shouldn't need anything more than a good performance oriented rebuild kit. On the other hand, if you intend to road race or autoX, then maybe you can justify something more than an upgraded stock front end. As Mary said, there is plenty of performance in the stock subframe for most of us. good luck.

pdq67

BANNED
Jul 26, 2001
Columbia, MO, USA
I'd notch a stock S/F front and rear and remove say 1/2 of the vertical width of it and then fish-plate weld "box" it w/ say 3/16" HRS/CRS steel plate such that I could fit wider tires on it.

pdq67

72-SS-396

Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 8, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I'm glad this subject came up. I for one am going to need a new subframe at some point as the previous owner had some 'custom' fame work done. Are all of the 2nd Gens interchangeable? Is there a comapny that makes reproduction subframes that are not tubular? I'm not a big fan of the Chinese repops, so is a salvage yard the best choice? I thought I saw that our subframes were being reproduced, but I can't find any information. Have a Merry Christmas everyone!