Replacement door and hood hinges

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by dannyUAL767, Mar 24, 2010.

1. dannyUAL767

dannyUAL767 Veteran Member

I've already done a search and I've found minimal info on replacement hinges. I'm sure people have purchased and used aftermarket replacement door and hood hinges.

My door hinges need some TLC. The driver's side is very bad and the roller detent is pretty much destroyed. I know that I can buy a detent roller rebuild kit from Year One. I've already got a door hinge pin kit. I bought it about 20yrs ago ;) .

My driver's side hood hinge is bending inward when I close the hood. I'm suspecting that the hinge is bad and I'm going to need to replace it.

What is/was your experience with them? Would you recommend them or would you recommend that I keep my originals and try to rebuild them? I'm going to assume that these replacement parts are either china made or Taiwan made, right?

2. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would hold on to your originals and rebuild them,if not now,at your convenience.But dont throw them away.I havent used the repop door hinges personally,but Ive heard the holes can be off.And I thought I saw Pete(fbodywarehouse)???post a while ago saying they were only a 5 or 6 year hinge.The repop hood hinges Ive had werent bad.I thought the pair I had was almost an exact duplicate.

3. dannyUAL767

Thanks for the information. Yes, if I buy replacements I'll definitely hold on to my originals. From what I've read over the years on this and other forums, it seems to be hit or miss with replacement parts :rolleyes: .

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The door hinges are almost always repairable.
    Sometime they need oversized bushings, if they are worn badly.
    If you align the doors properly after you replace the pins and bushings, they will last for a very long time.

I suspect poor alignment from the factory, very heavy doors and a lack of subframe connectors to be the cause of these hinges wearing out.
    (They were never engineered to last for 30-40 years of daily use either.)

Hood hinges..... Sometime you can re-peen the pins at the joints to get them to work better.
    Since there are no bushings... There is no rebuild kit for them that I know of.

5. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a set of good hinges if you need them just pm me if you want them.

6. 3SLO5

3SLO5 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have bought both aftermarket hood and door hinges,the hood hinges are a little thinner metal than the originals but my hood now lines up perfectly with them so they work fine. The door hinges work fine and lined up fine but i had a roller come loose on the upper hinge the press fit of the roller came loose.

7. B.M.

B.M. Veteran Member

I had to buy new hood hinges because both of my old ones were broken,i got the new set from tamraz on ebay and when i put them next to the originals they are exactly alike.I've had them on my car for almost a year now and no problem with them.Although you are probably right about them being made overseas,when i got my leaf springs from tamraz there was a little sticker on them that said made in India so the other parts are probably foriegn to,but like i said no problems with them.

8. dannyUAL767

PM sent.

9. dannyUAL767

Thanks for all of the posted experiences with aftermarket replacement hinges. Its good information for those of us thinking about making the purchase or rebuilding our originals.