Repop floor pan alignment for 70

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Earlsfat, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Trying to replace a piece of a driver side floor pan, the original was swiss cheese with a couple 3 inch holes by the foot well. It bent when removing it, so i can't really compare it to the repop one.

I think the repop one pretty different than the original Because it WILL NOT line up. At all. Any one run into this problem?

At this point i think I'm going to beat the snot out of it until it fits, but it's going to be UGLY.

Also the trans tunnel has creases in it that i don't recall seeing on other guys cars. Wondering if this thing has been in a wreck and maybe that's why it won't line up.

Help? 20201212_183715.jpg

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Hey Jim, looks to me that those creases look too deliberate and stamped out on the tunnel to be from a wreck. I don't remember seeing them on my 73, (memory sucks) but wasn't really looking for them either.
    Is it too wide? is that what's keeping it off the floor? I was wondering what year you have and if your panel may have been tagged wrong, as the floors changed at one point. Think it might have been 75 for cat.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The creases are made by the stamping process, my car has them too

4. Earlsfat

Earlsfat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for the reply, I've been looking at other people's progress reds and don't recall seeing them either. But they do kinda look intentional.

It looks like the whole thing is just too small, it had lips all around it that weren't on the original sheet metal, so I smashed the lips out and it fits a lot better. Nothing seems to want to lineup though, for instance If you line up the hump where the parking brake cable goes through the floor pan, The 2 indentations on the transmission tunnel will be off By about 3/4 of an inch. And the bend at the top part of the panel seems to be way too sharp, Show where the top of the panel should meet the fire wall is about an inch short of actually touching the firewall.

I think I'm just gonna smash the thing in there and get this thing back on the street, maybe a year so down the road have somebody replace the whole floor Pan With a complete piece.

5. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

S/B no creases in the driveshaft tunnel for 70.

6. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

My original floor pan in my 70 has virtually the same wrinkles with no signs of damage anywhere on the body of the car. 20201213_170326.jpg 20201213_170335.jpg

7. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Here is a photo of my 70 floor pan when I installed a four speed. I have the same wrinkles, it’s the original floor pan.

F2691DFD-734C-45B2-9553-F22FD3ADE70C.jpeg

8. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Yeah, mine had wrinkles too, especially at the shifter area. I bought the same panel as lapedr and carefully cut and fit. I did notice that the "X" bead size was different on the AMD panel than my 1970 original was. I sectioned around it to save the original.

Attached Files:

10. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Yep I did the same thing I took it to the brace under the floor pan and used sheet metal screws to hold it in place as I plug welded around the edges, I chose not to stitch bc im not so good at preventing burn through im still a beginner, good job 70lt1z28