Repop Parts Review 0004 - Urethane Front Bumper (1978-1981)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CDesperado, Apr 21, 2012.

1. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Fine.

Dave, I'm sending a picture of my junk to you just because you don't want to see it. ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Agreed - this is why I asked for other people to provide a measurement. I dont have an OEM grille anymore to compare against, but I did do some research on them and it appears most of them appear to be 29.5 at the widest point (across the bottom most horizontal rail). The repop that I have is exactly 29.5 inches wide.

With the GroundUp's front bumper upper grille opening coming in at roughly 30 to 30 1/8... that means that it is potentially hald an inch too wide. That may not sound like much, but I will post some pics so yall can see this... it's a big gap once you look at it head on. (The lower grill opening is 30 inches wide, which appears to mirror the OEM bumper. It's a little difficult to measure, but people who are using an OER lower grille will definitely notice a 1/2 gap on either side of the lower grille.)

I definitely would appreciate as many pics as we can get. It's been 20 years since my car saw asphalt, but I thought I remembered my grille being a fairly tight fit along the sides too, with a tiny bit of play up towards the top. I know for sure it didnt have a 3/8" gap on either side.

Thanks Cruzer! This is definitely validating what I was afraid of.

I am going to take some more measurements and do a test fitting with the lower grille, the parking lamps, and the headlight bezels too so we can see how that shapes up.

3. CDesperado

I have quite a few more pics I want to post, but I have to get some other work done so it may be tonight before I get everything posted.

One thing I want to mention up front is the lower grille opening. The opening on the OEM and GU bumpers both measure 30" inches across (using the angle shown below).

[​IMG]

Assuming this measurement is reflective of other bumpers out there, the OER Lower Grille appears to be a full INCH too narrow. As you can see in the shots below, there is more than enough room to place a AA battery between the opening and the lower grille. (I placed a white rag behind the grill so it would show up better in the pictures.)

EDIT. 26 April 2012. There is no issue with the lower grille opening. After mounting the GroundUp bumper to the bumper support frame, the gap in the opening for the lower grille got slightly narrower. Mounting the bumper requires you to "push" in the sides a little bit and I did not take into account how much the lower grille itself would spread out upon being mounted.

This is mostly likely an issue with the OER Lower Grille - not the bumper. (The lower grille measure 29" at the widest point.) I mention this only so you know what to expect. (I dont recall there being a huge gap like this in my lower grille, but maybe there was.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

One other thing I want to note is the tabs on the bottom of the lower grille opening. This isn't a major issue (I hope), but it does represent another departure from the "exact replica" that is advertised. (Full disclosure... I cant even remember what these holes are used to mount or what they clip into, but the Christmas tree plug on the OEM bumper clearly went somewhere.)

EDIT. 26 April 2012. After mounting the bumper to the support frame, I dont think the missing 1/4 inch on the urethane tab will be an issue.

As you can see in the shot below, the "tab" on the lower section for the GroundUp front bumper is 1/4 of an inch shorter than the OEM. This may be an issue later.
    [​IMG]

Going back to the original issue, here are some shots taken with an upper grille that measures 29.5" at it's widest point (measured from the back, bottom point to bottom point, as shown below).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I want to point this out although I this probably is not an issue In the image below, you will see that there are two small screw holes in the OEM bumper (circled) that are not present in the GroundUp bumper. You will need to drill these holes back into the bumper (possibly before you paint it.). EDIT. These holes may be used to secure the bumper to the filler panel.
    [​IMG]

I see no fitment issues with the Headlight or Parking light bezels, but I can't really test that until the bumper is actually on the car. If you have any questions or want to see other pics, just let me know!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  4. 70 gsconvt

70 gsconvt Veteran Member

Aren't those holes for the mounting screws for the headlight buckets? I would think they wouldn't have been pre-drilled at the factory. Just created when the mounting screw was put in.

5. CDesperado

That's what I thought too, but no.. the headlight bucket screws sit further back.

Now that I think of it, these holes might be used to screw the bumper to the filler panel... in which case you would screw it in after assembly. (I edited that section.)

6. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

I really like it. Thankfully somebody is making them. Looks to be a pretty nice part. I'm not sure 3/8 of an inch will be noticable once on the car. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the car.

7. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do the tabs on the grill line up properly with the bumper cover?

8. CDesperado

Sort of. I have some straight on shots of that and I will post one here in a bit. I meant to include that and I forgot

9. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i'll measure my original NOS bumper as it is still off of the vehicle. This should produce the most accurate measurements.

I'll add that to the "Get this to Jason" list that keeps getting bigger and bigger!!
    Sorry about this weekend, it was the first time my wife and I had 2 days off together since the baby.

10. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

All stock never taken apart, no accidents 1978 Camaro : 29 11/16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But one thing to keep in mind, since this is a flexible part, its possible that when
    the bumper gets installed, the piece behind it might alter the dimensions. From
    a quick glance, it looks like the lower part of the opening drops down some. If
    that is the case, the outer points your measuring will move inward. I think the
    dimensions need to be checked when its mounted to the car properly. There is
    a possibility it could be WORSE, depending on how its pulled into place.

Tom