Repop Parts Review 0004 - Urethane Front Bumper (1978-1981)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CDesperado, Apr 21, 2012.

1. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I hate to ask this but you are likely the only person on this board with a car whose grilles havent been removed at some point.

Can you take some pics of the lower grille too? I'm convinced these openings are wider than they are supposed to be. In one of my shots above you can see there is an extra half inch of room on either side of the lower grille.

2. CDesperado

No worries. This sizing issue may cause me a delay anyway. We shall. Im going to go see my car again tmrw. Its the first time its had fenders since 2004 when I took the originals off.

3. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Okay, went to the basement to check my bumper cover. Distance is 29.375" measured directly across without grill. Original owner, original untouched bumper.

John

4. CDesperado

Thanks 79Zed. This is definitely confirming things for me - even with the understanding that there is a variance in the widths of the molds, the GroundUp bumper appears to be a little wider than it needs to be. (It's still a great looking bumper... but little things like this annoy me.)

So far, we have the following measurements:
    1. 30.080 (ie, <30 1/8th GroundUp's Bumper)
    2. 29.750 (ie, 29 12/16ths)
    3. 29.687 (ie, 29 11/16ths)
    4. 29.500 (ie, 29 8/16ths)
    5. 29.375 (ie, 29 6/16ths)

MGoad has an NOS Bumper that he will measure and I will add that to this later.

I will do some digging on this tomorrow to find out if this issue is limited to my particular casting or not. Hopefully I just got a bad mold and others aren't like this. I can certainly understand why some might think an extra 1/4 of an inch on either side of the grill isn't an issue... but it's pretty noticeable.

5. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

The lower grille fell out. Luckily it fell out in the driveway while it was waiting for
    the LT1 swap. 1970s quality shows its ugly head yet again. I need to find where
    I put it and put it back in for a picture.

Tom

6. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

CD, great job! I plan on re-finishing an OEM bumper cover (not original to my car though) and see how that works out. If it didn't, I had my eyes on this piece from ground up, but was skeptical of the fit (as with most aftermarket pieces), but I feel better knowing there is a good alternative to an Ebay piece that needs to be refurbished anyway.

7. CDesperado

Glad you liked it, TX79. I have about ten more of these reviews I have started that I havent completed yet.

I dropped the front and rear bumpers off at the shop today - both the Urethane from GroundUp. We are going to install the front piece today or tmrw morning, then I will drive back over there and take some pics so we can see how things shaped up.

I talked with the owner at length about my concerns about the upper grille opening, and I still plan to call GroundUp, but he thinks all of the bumpers will have slight variations. We also discovered a small little problem on the RH fog light, but I have to take pics of that tomorrow. Once we get the bumper mounted, I will re-measure the upper and lower grille openings and see where we stand.

SBCA... can you measure the total width of your lower grille? If you measure it from the back, measure across the widest angle. I think the OER lower grille is too narrow, but Im not entirely sure.

8. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Desperado- dont listen to the critics! Anytime somebody will take the time to do these types of write ups, somebody else benefits! Good Work!

9. sbca96

sbca96 Veteran Member

As requested :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom

10. CDesperado

Wow. Thanks SBCA. So the OER grille is 5/16ths narrower than the OEM. Interesting. These pics are EXACTLY what I needed.

Now that I think about it, the lower grille has some flex to it, so maybe when it is mounted, the "V" spreads out a little more. I could see that easily translating into an extra 1/4th inch of width.

This give me an idea. I will take my lower and upper grille with me to the shop when I go take the pics later today or tomorrow. I will take some pics of the grilles mounted (or at least in position) so y'all can see what they look like. The gaps may not be as bad as I thought.