Repop Parts Review 0004 - Urethane Front Bumper (1978-1981)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CDesperado, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are some major issues with my repop upper grill. looks like yours in that it doesn't match up at all. I wonder if the years were different with the grills?
    If you have a repop I would love to see the match up!!!

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah, you definitely will have to fix that. Your issue looks more like the fender isnt aligned correctly, which led to the door being misaligned too.

Aligning the doors is a beating.... Ugh. It's easier if you have an engine hoist or can rig up a frame. There is also a dolly you can buy that makes it pretty easy. I used a hydraulic floorjack and some towels everytime I had to do mine.

3. CDesperado

I'll do a compare of an NOS, an OER, and this unknown brand that I bought off a guy on Ebay selling them as "Genuine GM." He is definitely still selling them... and when I bought mine in 2009, I supposedly bought the last one.

4. mgoad1971

There is one on ebay right now as upper grill. We should ask him to measure those holes your looking for:crazy:

5. CDesperado

I did notice SBCA's original upper grille has the same tabs on the bottom side as my unknown repop, but have no idea why they are there. They dont fit into anything... they just lift it up a little bit. I dont remember if the OER has it or not.

6. mgoad1971

[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

.[​IMG]

7. CDesperado

That bumper is in amazing shape. I wouldnt sweat the dip... the support panel will straighten it out and you can add some additional filler under it if you want it perfectly smooth.

You probably need a heat gun to warm up the Urethane and re-shape it some of your problem areas for the upper grille tabs. Who made your repop grille? OER? Or another vendor? That isnt a big deal though, just drill in a new hole for the grille and you are good to go!

<grin> And those aren't the three holes I was looking for.

EDIT. Oh, the measurements we need are from the central points of the mounting holes on the back lip.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  8. mgoad1971

[YOUTUBE]vzcWPKAv2Ow[/YOUTUBE]

9. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I didn't forget about the pictures, life has just decided I will take care of some other things first.

10. CDesperado

No problem. I completely understand.

At this point, after several discussions outside the forum, I am pretty sure the gapping issue has to do with an issue of the alignment of the sheetmetal rather than it being an issue with the bumper. (The gapping issue was resolved as of 12 May 2012. One of the fenders was not aligned well and the overall gap has nothing to do with the front bumper. I am leaving the rest of the original verbiage.)

I could be part of the unlucky 0.025% who returned their bumpers due to having an actual issue, but that number is somewhere between 0 and 4, so statistically speaking that isn't very likely.

I will talk with the shop today about taking a few steps back, starting over, then I'll post up more pics and let yall know how it goes.

Last edited: May 15, 2012