Repop Parts Review 0004 - Urethane Front Bumper (1978-1981)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CDesperado, Apr 21, 2012.

1. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is an understatement!!:)

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just realized I never followed up on this post. The net conclusion is that the gapping issue had nothing to do with the front bumper. After looking at two 78s and a 79, two of them had the same slightly larger gap on the RH side that I have. I am convinced that with some subtle tweaks to the fender positions, we can close this gap up enough that I will be happy with it. I am extremely happy with how the bumper looks and can't wait to see it painted.

There is one minor cosmetic issue with the RH parking lamp bezel area. A little filler will fix this issue - it basically looks like a slightly rough edge on the underside of the lip and would not be visible to someone looking at the car. (You have to be under the car, looking up, to see it.) I've tweaked this image a little so you can see this more clearly. This isnt present on the other light openings and although it is an easy fix, I wanted to mention this in case other bumpers have the same issue. (I think little issues like this would be unique to each bumper.)
    [​IMG]

The bumper itself is pristine and I am happy with it. This product is sold by Classic Industries, Ground Up, and probably others. It is actually made by a company called New Dawn Enterprises out of southern California and sold through various facilities like CI, GroundUp, and Ricks Camaros.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  3. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

GREAT write-up on this bumper!! ALOT of information here. I think this would be the bumper of choice to go with.
    I still wouldn't mind a write-up of the fiberglass and flexifiberglass for comparison!!

4. CDesperado

Thanks! I am sure someone out there has a fiberglass one that they can do a review of. Although fiberglass is easier to "add to" than Urethane, I just didnt want to go that route. (To be more accurate, I should say... you cannot "add" to Urethane the way you can with fiberglass. However, since the Urethane mold is accurate, you don't need to either.)

As far as fiberglass, I've seen too many cracked fiberglass bumpers and with our Texas heat, it seems like they tend to spider web after 10 years or so. I've never seen a flexiglass so cant comment on those. It does look interesting though.

I need to post up the review for the urethane rear bumper, but haven't gotten to it yet. Im trying to get everything lined up for some orders I need to place over Memorial Day weekend.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. wickedbluz

wickedbluz New Member

could you post pictures of the headlight to fender alignment from the top and side view . mine kinda makes a small radius upward (curves up)to match the fenders . Is this an adjustment that is made when the bolts are tighten up , because the new bumper cover looks flat in this area
    thanks eddie

6. CDesperado

Can you take a picture from the angle you are referring to? I'm having trouble interpreting that.

7. wickedbluz

wickedbluz New Member

The gap at the back of headlight area where cover meets top of fender all the way around to the fender extensions .
    If you look at the area where the top of the fenders meet the hood and the nose cover .The nose cover creates a gap between the hood and fender all the way around to the fender extension. One side of my nose cover rises quickly for the last quarter inch or so to blend with the fender on top and the side all the way down to the fender extensions , but on the other side of my nose cover its flat on the top for the last quarter inch before the gap so it does not blend to the top of the fender , But does rise or radius slightly on the side of the same fender where it meets the fenders above the fender extensions. hopes this explains it better ,I have yet to set up a photobucket account to post pics, sorry and thanks for the quick reply , Eddie

8. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yesterday and today, we installed my OER bumper cover, so I figured I would add my review. I also wanted to add that the guy doing my paint/body work is top notch, and has had 4 magazine cover cars, as well as done Barrett Jackson restorations, and has done over twenty 2nd gen restorations, so he is pretty good at aligning panels.

This was his first OER cover he has worked with. He was pretty disappointed in the quality, but with some work, I think it will turn out pretty decent.

There were a lot of tiny little pin holes/pock marks that he had to fill and sand, and several small imperfections that he had to work out. Most of the holes had to be enlarged as to not pull the cover out of shape when lined up with the original holes. After several hours of getting it to look pretty well, we still had these areas that will need shims, as it pulls it WAY out of shape without them. As it sits without tightening them down, the grill fits really well too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this tab was on the wrong side of center.

[​IMG]

On the car:

[​IMG]

9. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ok Guys, what the secret to lining these up. Ive been messing with mine for a long time and cant get it. Driver side is good. pass.side really P#$ing me off. Do I leave core support loose? Do I leave bolts from the nose cone support to the core support loose. I do have aftermarket fenders and nose cone. The biggest problem I have right now is I cant get the pass. side to pull in tight It has about a 1/8 Gap Any help will help me fofm losing my mind!!

10. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

I'm fixing to start on mine next week.I ordered a OER from Camaro Central.Maybe we can trade ideas along the way.