Repop Parts Review 0004 - Urethane Front Bumper (1978-1981)

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by CDesperado, Apr 21, 2012.

1. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds good to me.I need all the help I can get.

2. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just a quick note, but if OER is making a front bumper cover, then it is different than the one being reviewed here, which is made by (edit) New Dawn. They sell through CI, but OER doesnt make the piece.)

A few posts above... the tab isnt on the wrong side of center. The original bumper cover mounts the same way. I know it looks odd, but that is correct. The upper grille mounts in the tab on the right and the hole on the left is a bit of mystery - it isnt for the grille emblem.

[​IMG]

As shown here...
    [​IMG]

A few tips/tricks:
    1. Be prepared to shim the bumper across the leading edge of the hood.

2. Your gaps between the front bumper cover and hood will likely not be even all the way across, at least at first. The gap tolerances on untouched cars is not even either. When I first mounted mine, the gaps went from 1/16th of an inch to 1/2" inch as you work your way across. It was not easy to even those gaps out, but with time and patience it can be done.

3. Aligning the front bumper cover is easier with two people. You can get the front fenders and hood semi-aligned, but you will need to make adjustments once you mount the front bumper as I guarantee you that you will be slightly off-center at first.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  3. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Have you finished your installation on yours ?

4. OsborneConst

OsborneConst Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As I stated previously, my body guy had a heck of a time getting mine to fit. He actually had to pull the subframe loose and shift it around to get everything to fit. It looks really well, but I still have not made shims so I can install my grille.

After paint:

[​IMG]

The grille is just sitting in it. It fits the bumper great, it just need to make shims as shown above so it doesn't pull the cover out of whack when screwing the grille in.

[​IMG]

5. CDesperado

Yes... mine is done and ready to go. I've had other challenges with finishing my car, but hopefully the last of those will be resolved this coming weekend.

6. Dogwater

Dogwater Veteran Member

I ordered mine from Summit, just about a year ago, pretty sure its an OER. My biggest problem with it it seems to be around 1/4 to 5/16 to wide. The thing is when putting on the fenders, the front of the fenders need to be bolted on to the bumper cover for a flush fit, edge to edge. Rear of the fenders same thing, a nice edge to edge fit with the door gap. Think of it like this, you have a square box opening (engine bay) then you put a square lid into that opening (hood) an your square opening is just a little to big for the hood to have tight gaps on both sides. I could adjust the fenders to move inwards to fill in the hood to fender gap but then I'd loose the flush fit to the front fender & cover. Or I could make the hood wider. But everything is painted an I'm not going to fart around with it. What I have is a 5/16 gap between both sides of the .hood an fenders. I also have a low spot about the size of a half dollar next to the p/s headlight which I think I saw it but forgot about, now it sticks out like a sore thumb. I need to take the cover off an wedge something in there to push it out. I though about heating it up with a heat gun from the inside but doing that might screw up the paint, I dont know. My fenders are the OEM fenders that came with it, not repops, same with the hood. Thank god for Texas Camaro as this one was shipped to Houston when new, I don't think its ever been out of the state. I didn't have the rust issues I've seem on the northern ones, except for the rear lower quarter panels I had to replace.
    As for the front grill fitting problems some have had, theirs a difference between the 78 & 80 grill, Mine is a 78 an it was still in great shape. It wouldn't fit the new bumper cover, the mounting holes were different, I didn't look at the difference on the gaps at each end. A few years ago I had bought a grill off an 80 when the local pick n pull still had second gens out in the yard, they don't any more. The 80 grill fit perfect, mounting holes lined up, gaps at the end are great. I was told that the OER is a copy of an 80 bumper cover so that is why a 78 grill won't line up as nice as an 80 grill. Maybe you know this already but if not, there you go. I don't know what year the change was made, but the 78 & 80 grill is different. To anyone ordering a new bumper cover your going to have issues, there not going to be prefect You can move the radiator support around some for a better fit, this will work with the fender also.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  7. CDesperado

OERs 2012 Catalog (the latest available) lists the bumper as "OER authorized"... Which means it is probably still the one made by New Dawn Enterprises and marketed under the OER banner.

8. daddio4048

daddio4048 Veteran Member

Mine comes in tomorrow.Let the fun begin !

9. Bumpad_Z28

Bumpad_Z28 Veteran Member

So CDesperado .. I read through this thread as my stock bumper cover is in sad shape and has been previously repaired ...

In YOUR opinion ...

should I try and use this OEM cover from a local junk yard ... (i haven't seen it in person, maybe I'll offer $200 ?)

[​IMG]

Or is the OER piece nice enough to not worry about other "used" parts ?

~DaVe

10. CDesperado

Just to re-iterate here... OER doesnt make the front bumper cover. It's made by a company called New Dawn Enterprises - they definitely deserve kudos for making this piece. As you can see from the pics early on in this review, I was pretty meticulous about comparing it to my OEM bumper cover and I think they did an excellent job.

To your question.... I would offer him $50 or 60 for that, and let him bring you up to $80-100.

(No sense in starting off high at $200. He clearly isnt planning to do much with that car since the driver's side window is down, the interior will be completely gone soon.)

The main issue with the urethane bumpers is that they can get a little "sun baked" - and it's hard to say from this image if this is one is ok or not. It looks good... just minor paint fade. The fact that the paint is still on it is a good sign.