repro 72 door panel install

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by ericj205, May 15, 2005.

1. ericj205

ericj205 Veteran Member

Ok, I have replaced the doors on my '71 with donors. The doors were bare metal so I am starting from scratch. I ordered the hard plastic uppers and vinyl panels for a 72 model. I have the hard plastic lowers from a '73 donor car.

Now I am trying to figure out this mess. I plan to attach the inner felt strip to the hard upper via staples. Next I will slip the hard plastic over the adjustable felt guides and push down. This is where it gets confusing. There are sheet metal screw holes in the metal door that align with holes in the bootom edge of the plastic upper piece. There are also larger, 1/4" holes in the same area.

How does the vinyl door panel attach along the top edge?

My original panel had 1" oval slots along the edge but this replacement panel does not. I believe there were some metal clips that slipped into the slots in the cardboard and then pushed into plastic bushings in the door. But this new '72 repro panel does not have any slots or holes along the top or sides, what gives?

Also, what kind of bracket is necessary to hold the hand grip used to pull the door shut? My original '71 bracket does not line up with the '73 lower door panel.

Any pics would be awesome.

2. ericj205

ericj205 Veteran Member

okay i think I have it figured out. I found the holes in the cardboard. They were hidden underneath the vinyl that was folded over and glued down. I decided to use modern plastic clips instead of the original metal ones that are hard to find

I still have one question. What kind of bracket is used to mount the hand pull area of the lower door panel? I have the original brackets from my 71 doors but they mount too far rearward and higher to line up with the hand pulls on the 73 lower plastic panels. Again, pics would be awesome.