Reproduction leaf spring mounts?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by biker, Jun 15, 2021.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Started diving into my rear spring change today and one of the J-nuts that fastens the cup holding the front leaf spring eye is pooped. So, I'm changing all six nuts and putting in new bolts.

Does anyone have any experience with the reproduction cups? I haven't had one in my hands, so I have no idea what they are like. Figured I may as well change my crusty originals while I'm in there, but I dont want to order them if they are garbage.

Thanks!

2. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

How bad are your originals?
    You can bead/sand blast them and repaint them if they’re still solid.

You can even drill the holes for the Herb Adams mod.

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

They are still solid, just crusty with old undercoating and surface rust. I just figured if I could get a new set quick, they will look better than what I can do with a wire wheel. But, I should be able to find someone around here with a media blaster.
    And good call on drilling them. If I could get a set like the UMI ones that are already drilled, I would.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Once they are mounted, you don't really see them.

I think I cleaned mine up with a wire wheel.
    Media blasting doesn't work very well on undercoating.
    The media just bounces off of it.

You really need a solvent to remove the tar/rubber stuff off.
    Or... You can burn it off something like those spring mounts.

6. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ok good, I will tackle it. I sometimes get carried away after seeing the underneath of some of the guys cars on this site. Mine is not any kind of show car, just a nice, solid driver. And fast. :)

7. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

8. biker

biker Veteran Member

Ok thanks! I just have trouble getting anything quickly from the States right now. But I guess I cant complain to you about that!

9. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you don't want to do your own, place a WTB in the classified. I bought a set on the cheap, already drilled, from a member here. But as said above, a little cleaning and drilling, and you're ready to go. Probably get the project done before you can get new J nuts.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yep, I'm sure I can clean them up quick. Guaranteed before the nuts get here! I could probably get the one nut I need locally here, but this is how things snowball....
    I figured I may as well do my SFCs while I'm under there, so got looking at what the unintended consequences of that would be. And, it looks like the fuel lines will be tough to change with SFCs installed, so, I ordered a stock style feed and return line. And the clips. So with that shipping time, I figured I may as well do all the j-nuts and bolts, and what the hell, why not the spring mounts. Now it looks like the fuel lines are delayed, so all I will be able to do is the springs now anyways. Sigh...