Reproduction rear view mirror for 1970 Camaro.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by john Gialanella, Jan 3, 2021.

1. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

When I bought my 1970 SS 396 Camaro in 2012 it was numbers matching and has almost all the original parts. But the rear view mirror was black padded trim, not grey. I sold that one and bought a reproduction Grey padded rear view mirror. The only problem is that when I slide it over the metal piece glued to the windshield it does not go all the way down. Apparently the width of the metal piece on windshield is a fraction wider then the width of the base of the mirror. I wanted to buy the OER Brand (Company in California) but want to make sure that I do not have the same problem. Did any members buy reproduction rear view mirrors for 1970 Camaro and did it go on correctly. I have had good success with them before. But most repro stuff is junk.
    Thanks John.

2. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If it’s real close to fitting...
    Maybe you could use a Dremel tool to widen the slot a little bit to get it to fit the windshield piece properly.

2ndGenCrazy likes this.
  4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would tape up the glass and use a small file and file down both sides of the windshield mount since it’s real metal and not pot metal that could be on the mirror.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Why not just remove it and install the correct size one?

6. john Gialanella

badazz81z28.
    I would think that they are glued on so well that you could crack the windshield trying to remove it. I had hoped one member would have bought a reproduction mirror and it slid on with no problem.

7. john Gialanella

Correct me if I am wrong, but the first design mirrors look like they do not have that metal piece glued to the windshield and the rest slides on it. It looks like you just glue the base to the windshield. If I am correct, then my Car which has the piece glued to the windshield had the 2nd design mirror.
    John.

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

1st design with the two-piece split tube housing had a round metal "foot" glued to the windshield. These are very hard to find (P.S...I'm looking) as they would come loose and droop down. They were replaced in about May I think with the one piece tube housing that had the tombstone shaped metal foot glued to the windshield.

2ndGenCrazy likes this.
  9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The 1st design is useless trying to keep the 2 balls from drooping no matter how tight you tighten the screws. And this is why I got a mirror from the boneyard just to use the ball that slides onto the windshield.
    E2740F4F-DF3D-48D6-A1EA-D80182CB9321.jpeg

A360D593-09B6-44EE-8110-82541A20E9AA.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

There is a proper way to remove them. There is a release agent and a cutting wire if I recall...