restoring 1970 camaro seats

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by giggity, Jun 29, 2020.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I got these seat track guides from Dave(70lt1z28)

They were a little bit tricky to get in, but I finally got them in. Pictures look wonky, but I got them in straight. It helps the stability of the tracks a LOT.

20200706_183027.jpg

20200705_115359.jpg

70lt1z28 likes this.
  2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Hey you got them in. Great. They are a bit tricky at first but I bet you could do them easy now.
    Don't forget to put some white lithium grease in the tracks.

giggity likes this.
  3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

yea, got them in, spent most of my time trying to separate tracks, then gave up and got one side in, and then tapped in the second side with a hammer. got past groove and now its in. I dont plan on moving seats once in. Only chance of them moving is if wife plans on driving, which probably wont happen because of stick shift! :)

Thanks again!!!

dave@ztech likes this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings Veteran Member

I've been amazed at how mice have gotten into my '68 Chevy II Nova SS and maybe even a small rat. I will try to add a photo later but I've just taken off both fenders and lo and behold there is nice, mouse-sized hole on each side below the cowling and horizontal at the bottom. I'm not sure yet that they could get into the car from there but it sure looks likely as I had thought I'd found every opening big enough for them to enter. This may be a place that the assembly line machinery grabbed the body and soon after plugged it by a plastic plug. I assume so anyway. I expect the Camaros, El Caminos, and Chevelles had the same opening and even the Caprice line. To find it look under the cowling from below and in from each side about 6-8". It's about a 1-1/8" oval.

giggity likes this.
  5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

They are surprisingly good at getting into things. they got into my wife's saturn, into the air cleaner, she doesnt drive it very much, and I popped the hood to check fluids, found rat droppings and wadded up carpet on top of air cleaner. Apparently they had gotten into the air damper on front of air cleaner, it has several chambers to quieten the air intake noise, and perfect rat motel. then only thing that seemed to work was spraying everything with peppermint oil/water mix. they dont like smell.
    20200306_122512.jpg

Screenshot_20200306-130114_Video Player.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  6. woolygrazer

woolygrazer New Member

1970 seat spring placement

Attached Files:

7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

I am a dealer for LEGENDARY Interiors..............I have zero experience installing
    covers and found this thread very interesting.
    ACI or American Cushion Industries makes most of the restoration seat foam pads
    that are being used in misc brands of American Muscle Cars.
    The owner chose to NOT reproduce the 1970 Camaro Foam because of it being one
    year only.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. hd_cat

hd_cat Member

Seats look good, what did you do for the headrests, they look to be in better shape than the set that I have. I have bought the Deluxe Upholstery, but have yet to install it. I have done several sets of seats for different cars, so I expect that experience to help me with these. The seats with multiple listing wires are the most challenging that I've found.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

The headrests were in really good shape, they are original. All I did was scuff them and apply black SEM paint. Not sure how well the SEM will hold up, but seems pretty easy to reapply to headrests.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

thanks!! I couldnt figure out where that second spring goes.

KingofThings likes this.