Restoring Blue Clip Rings

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by fvdillon, Sep 3, 2010.

1. fvdillon

fvdillon Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have nine 1st design blue clip trim rings. I picked out the best four for my car and the upcoming MCACN show in Chicago. Bluffed them out, look pretty good. My question, what color paint would I use for the clips? It seems hard to match? Thanks Jim

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Good question Jim, wish I had great answer...............

I'm very familiar with what you want to accomplish, Ive just never got to that point myself.

Have you tried looking around a large hobby or craft store where they would sell small bottles of paint ?? Also sign painters supply stores, but the size of jar/can might be too large???

I'll be very interested to see how your 1st design rings turned out. They were shinier than the 2nd design that had more of a satin look.

I had one set polished, and they look too good. I have many others that need working on, and am interested in a person/vendor if anyone knows of one. These rings (any rings) are difficult to remove dings from what with the multiple layers of folded metal, backing rings etc etc.............

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. fvdillon

I keep thinking it's got to be some shade of GM blue. But so far I haven't matched it too good.Plus it's also faded some? Was kinda lucky on the four I picked out, not many dings or dents, but some scratches. They buffed out ok, the deep scratches were tougher. The metal on these rings is very thin, I buffed a small hole in one trying to remove a deep scratch. Good thing I had backups. Trying to get some of the things fixed on my car........so you & Rick can pick it apart again this year. LOL Jim

4. CamarosRus

Jim, Do you judging sheets from last year. Ask me questions about misc easy things to improve.

If you can paint "Blue" clips anything close to original, it would be OK with me.

Surely there must be a way to find some modeling paint or ?? close to what I've shown and you already have ????

Cant recall what you had for lug nuts and center caps. AMES Perf Pontiac has nice 2nd design stainless jacket nuts and that's about the best you can do.

Did you (or anybody) buy those repop center caps from same guy that made the jack cover ???

My Email is below

regards,

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. fvdillon

Yes have the judging sheets, trying to improve the things I can. Can't replace front fenders, or buy a smog system right now, but doing what I can. Don't have original lug nuts (have looked years for a set). Have first design center caps with Buddy's centers. Jim

6. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jim,

I use blueing ink that machinists use for laying out metal, that seems to work with a couple of coats.

7. fvdillon

Thanks Rick, where could I purchase this ink? Jim

8. CamarosRus

Machinists Dye can be bought on line at www.mscdirect.com

Rick, I would need to hold my final opinion, but I'm thinking most of the 1st design BLUE clips are a much different (lighter) shade of blue than machinists
    layout dye...........

9. dkatap

dkatap Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chuck, the clips on 73 and up were a dark blue. The lighter blue clips were on the 70-71 cars. Not sure about 72 as the change may have occured sometime in the 72 model run. Rick might have an idea as to when the change occured.

Dennis

10. Ricks72Z28

Ricks72Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member