Retrofit AC System 71 Camaro

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Dcmusch, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

Im doing an LS1 swap in my 71 Camaro. Im looking into which AC system Id like use and fits my budget. Im been searching online but havent found all the answers Im looking for. Any help or insight from your installs ya'll can give me is greatly appreciated.

My car doesnt have AC now or the lower dash unit. Do I need this with one of the retrofit systems?

Which kits have you used and which ones are the most budget conscious?

Any pictures you can share of an underdash unit installed?

Thanks

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Two ways to go Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air. Both good systems, I'm running the VA and the install was pretty straightforward, The entire evap/heater coil blower motor and servos for ducting is one unit that fits nicely above the passengers feet. If you have a non a/c car they will supply a duct that goes under the radio (or in your console cubby if console equipped) for your center outlet. the end ducts that are fed off your cowl flapper doors (top corner of each firewall side) will be removed and holes in cowl plugged with plates, then hoses from the VA unit go to those ducts. The defro duct is gone (the big Y shaped duct that is stock) and two small ducts go on and two separate hoses feed them. I had a non a/c car that needed a new dash so I bought an a/c dash so I would have the high center vent. CAA has the advantage I believe in that if any piece of the inside unit fails individual pieces can be removed and replaced (from what I am told). Both units run around $1300 and don't require any of your old systems parts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  3. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

I have a new upper dash that came with the car, but I don't have the lower dash for the ac. I'll take a look at those two units. How are the controls mounted if I don't have a lower dash?

4. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

Has anyone used one of the underdash units? They look a little less expensive but do they work well?

5. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

Any pics of the dash after the install?

6. bigdav160

bigdav160 Veteran Member

Any pics of the firewall penetrations? Did you route the lines through the old blower motor opening or something different?

7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

I am closely following this thread for near future VA install on my 71 RS/Z28. Dcmusch you do know that VA is right there in San Antonio maybe you could visit them for some one on one help. I have called them on the phone and they have a tech department that is pretty helpful on the kits.

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks stock after the install. wouldn't be worth posting a pic, other than the non a/c cars get the center vent under the radio.

Lower dash for a/c is same lower dash as non a/c. New VA controls mount where the factory controls mounted.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

I will try to get in touch with them and see about visiting their shop. Why would you need a lower dash unit if you didn't have ac?

10. amargari

amargari Veteran Member