Reuse old pushrods or buy new?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by slayer021175666, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Craig Long

Craig Long New Member

Put the new ones in! My recent experience is that after a total rebuild of my 390 hp 427, I was having trouble keeping the hydraulic lifters set. Initially I thought it was just the break info new cam, liters etc. then I found it. The new valve springs were much stronger than the original springs. The motor was chewing up the tops of the push rods and I missed it by being cheap. Now I had small bits of push rods every. We have done our best but 9 of 16 push rods had visual damage and I have metal roaming around inside my motor. The price of new push rods looks pretty cheap compared to what I will spend to yank that motor and probably rebuild it.

Cardinal likes this.
  2. STUNTMAN

STUNTMAN New Member

Due to a bad experience with a stock one breaking, I would not recommend reusing stock pushrods in anything besides a stock application. I built a 454 a few years ago, and put a bigger cam and upgraded the valve springs, I didn’t think about the pushrods. I had one break after only a few thousand miles. I ended up having to pull the engine to find all the pieces. I went ahead and torn it all the way back down to inspect everything. I found nothing else wrong anywhere. All the seat pressures were correct with no binding anywhere. A $100 set of pushrods would have saved me a lot of time and money.

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I hear ya, my last set of pushrods I got in April 2020 set me back $250, mind you that's with a Canadian peso, not even an option. I have 4 other sets for the same engine.

4. DennisG

DennisG Member

Don't trust a pushrod to be straight. I mount pushrods between centers in a fixture and measure how straight they are. About half of the new ones are not perfectly true.

5. 1320feet

1320feet Veteran Member

Has anyone seen the ball snap off a push rod with the welded balls? I'm sure it has happened, I've never seen it personally.

6. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Back when I was poorer than a church mouse (52 years ago in the navy), I reused pushrods after using the old school method of checking pushrods to see IF they're straight is to roll them on a Formica top table. IF they roll smoothly = OK. If, however, they wobble, they're junk = tent stakes.

Having said that, new bone stock push rods are well under $50 so they are probably thee least expensive part you can purchase for a motor AND bad ones can cause irreparable damage!

As for the kind/size/type of push rod to use, I ALWAYS go by what the cam manufacturer recommends.

I liken it to reusing used push rods to reusing a used condom! LOL!

wiseryder likes this.
  7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

But you can’t turn a used pushrod inside out and shake the junk out of it. o_O

They can be reused but for the price.... Get new ones.

That goes for pushrods too. ;)

slayer021175666 and pointman like this.
  8. wiseryder

wiseryder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Too Funny Twisted !!

9. Postmech

Postmech Member

More than likely your geometry will be off with a different cam. They grind rear of lobe down to gain lift so it drops the lifter deeper in hole. You may need longer (stress may!) push rods to center rockers on valve. Easy to check, paint top of valve with Sharpie mount everything up and rotate engine a few times. Don't oil rocker or valve tip. Wear pattern should be in center of valve stem. Closer to pushrod means you need longer pushrods, closer to exhaust port means you need shorter pushrods. A good set of pushrods is money well spent.