Reverse Lockout Rod 5618

ZsZs

Veteran Member
Jun 6, 2017
One of the hardest finds out there. I bought an after market one, then a couple of years later found the 5618. You can have the repo for 10.00 plus shipping. Maybe you will have better luck then me, it took me about 4 yrs to find one.

john Gialanella

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2008
Bloomfield N.J.
Both Joey Gray and Bob at Camaro specialties reproduce them. I have had 4 of them thru the years, but sold all of them and they were originals not repro's. But it is getting real hard to find them now.
John.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I had been kind of half heartedly looking for one back around 1985 for my '74z28 T10 when I removed the headers and put stock manifolds on. It had been discontinued from GM even that long ago.

70lt1z28

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 3, 1999
Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
Bought mine 4 years ago from TommyRS70. Maybe he has another. I needed the entire assembly including the bell crank. Paid a fair penny then but they are getting harder to find.

If you buy a used original, look carefully at the rod ends where the go into the bell crank and the trans link. They wear pretty fast there as they are not usually lubricated.

Restored backdrive linkage2.JPG

The repops at one time were not stamped. Maybe they are now.

Here is an original stamping:

backdrive rods phophate difference.JPG

Jarhead1971

Oct 9, 2021
Bought mine 4 years ago from TommyRS70. Maybe he has another. I needed the entire assembly including the bell crank. Paid a fair penny then but they are getting harder to find.

If you buy a used original, look carefully at the rod ends where the go into the bell crank and the trans link. They wear pretty fast there as they are not usually lubricated.

View attachment 127830

The repops at one time were not stamped. Maybe they are now.

Here is an original stamping:

View attachment 127831
Thank you. Good pics

70RamAirIII

Pontiac-aholic
Jan 10, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
I'm going to bump this thread because I earmarked it a while ago when it showed up in a "recent threads" search I made;
I actually made a reverse rod for my car in the late 1990's, and patterned it off of one (meaning by the bends and end locations) taken off of a 1974 SD455 Trans Am - so this would have been a ST-10 car.
I made mine from some donor automatic rods.

Well over the years I have collected parts, and I just now confirmed that I have a proper 5618 reverse rod - and thanks to this thread I know precisely what it's for - thanks!

I have another one, which I believe is also another reverse lock out rod;
It's 4-1/2" shorter than the 5618;
It has the following number stamped on it: S*3072
* = the "S" is inside a circle; the circled S is shorter in height than the numbers.

Can anyone tell me what the correct application or use for this rod is?