Richmond Super Street 5 speed in factory tunnel with console?

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by KingDragon, Dec 17, 2020.

1. KingDragon

KingDragon Kickin tires and Lighting fires

Any of you wizards out there running a Richmond 5speed in your F-body without modifying the floor pan? I'm restoring my 80Z and considering replacing the T-10 with Richmond SS 5 speed. I'm a huge fan of 4-speeds but I find I dont take my 4-speed cars on long hauls because 3,300 rpm for hours on end can get taxing. The idea of pulling another gear appeals to me on this build. Using my factory console and stock appearing shifter handle is important to me as well. Respectfully I'm not interested in anything Tremec so please keep those reply's from this post. Looking forward to your feedback.
    -KD

2. dkcamaro

dkcamaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a Nash 5 speed ( same as Richmond) in my 72 Camaro. Floor tunnel had no problems, had to move crossmember back a little and drill new holes in the subframe to mount crossmember. I have a factory 72 console, and it hit the shifter plate, so I just removed the shifter plate cut the hole bigger to accept the shifter handle. Not sure how it would be with a 1980 console

3. KingDragon

Thats great news. I'm assuming you used the OEM crossmember, that said I imagine the tailshaft sat close to the OEM height elevation wise. I read in another thread that a guys tranny sat too low so his fan had conflict with the radiator.

4. dkcamaro

dkcamaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes OEM crossmember. I don't remember there being a height issue

5. 73RATTYZ28

73RATTYZ28 Veteran Member

I had a Richmond 5 speed in my 73 for years. Fits in the tunnel easily. Easy swap had to change yoke on the driveshaft and drill 2 New holes in the crossmember. I used the comp plus shifter which isn’t great but fit. The long shifter is much better but have to cut the tunnel a bit to fit. I switch to a tko 600 and it’s much bigger stuffed in the tunnel. Shifts much better

6. KingDragon

Super shifter works with your factory shifter opening and console? I assume the TKO 600 needed floor pan shifter opening and console mods in order to work

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

I dont know what Silversport does to the case for their TKO kit, but their literature says it is "optimized" to fit without tunnel mods, and my SST kit popped into my 81 4 speed car with no drama, lots of clearance. Stock console, rubber floor gasket and stock shifter boot. And I have had it in and out a few times for various reasons.

8. 73RATTYZ28

73RATTYZ28 Veteran Member

Competition plus shifter worked with the console on the Richmond. I also used the silver sport tko perfect fit kit that worked as well

9. KingDragon

This SST kit sounds atractive. Any of you guys use it with factory clitch mechanical linkage? Id like to keep firewall area as OEM as possible and Ive had trouble with past projects converting to hydro clutch with firewall flexing.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

I ran mine for a year with the factory linkage, zero problems. I only switched to hydraulic when I found wear on all the original factory articulating points.