[email protected] please answer this dashpad question

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by need-for-speed, Sep 7, 2020.

1. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

For my '79 Camaro, what is the difference between the vinyl and urethane dash pads (other than the obvious).

PN C-14655-9A and C-14655-9AA

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

3. badazz81z28

Im curious as to the latest update to the 70-78 dash pad. Has it been improved in the last few years?

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Pretty sure the 9AA piece is NPD's very own. Their design and tooling.

9A piece is the OER dash pad.

The NPD pad has had a few improvement updates since it's debut. I bought one a few months ago that I'm oh so close to installing. It looks and feels every bit as good as the original pad. Just finishing up the wiring on the Classic Dash/Autometer gauges and for my radio before I set the new pad/dash in.

Already bolted the passenger side lower dash to the pad and everything lined up great. Easier to get to the mounting screws and install as one piece.

5. badazz81z28

If you watch the video I linked it tells you exactly that the AA is their unique dash....it also says its Urethane just like GM did it and NOT vinyl wrapped like the competitors. Does nobody research anymore? If you go to NPDs website to that product, it tells you exactly the info you seek.

6. need-for-speed

I watched the video yesterday. But I don't recall reading, or seeing in the video, that the A model is made by OAR. That is very good info and I would not have known that if I did not post this question. That is enough info to help me decide which one to buy.

7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Not sure who you're directing this toward about doing research. I did plenty of research before making the purchase. Was anything I posted inaccurate?

8. badazz81z28

No, not directly. The video is pretty clear and not too much subjectivity.

9. need-for-speed

Part of the research process is to post questions in Internet forums so we can learn from each other. I don’t know why someone’s should be called out for that.

10. Rick@NPD

[email protected] Veteran Member

I am late to the party, but as others have already stated, our C-14655-9AA is our exclusive urethane pad, and our C-14655-9A is the OER brand.

FWIW, our roll-out of the new -9AA 79-81 dash pads has been flawless thus-far (knock on wood), we've received nothing but accolades from customers. So far, so good.

The 70-78 pads were more of a battle in the early days, with issues of "ghost lines", mis-aligned holes above the instrument cluster, and some irregularity with gaps against the upper/forward panel. But in the course of a few generations of production runs, making running changes along the way, things settled into a good groove.

IIRC, we haven't made any changes or revisions since 2016, and we've sold over 1,500 pads since then. Over that same span of time, I think that we've only had 20-ish complaints about fit up top, most of which were resolved with further counseling/instruction from our NC Depot, and a handful that required a replacement pad. Maybe 5-7 replacement pads shipped out of 1,500 sold of the latest/last generation.

In speaking with our manufacturer, each day they have to heat-up the mold, and there's always some fine-tuning at the beginning of the day, and fine-tuning ongoing throughout the day, reacting to ambient temperatures and humidity. So Q.C. by the operators is key, and every so often a pad that the operators thought "should be fine" turns out to be a reject. But all in all, they do pretty fantastic.

One thing that HAS reappeared are the ghost lines, ever-so-faint.. This is a very subtle and delicate thing, as it's the connect/joint lines for each half of the tool. Even GM had to battle with this reality. They tell me that they can carefully refine the areas where it mates again to perfection for our next run (due Decemberish), and this will likely be an every 6-7 year maintenance. In the meantime, it's subtle, very few have noticed or complained, so we're selling-through with no problem and they'll be gone within the next couple months. Those who have mentioned it, have simply dusted the pad with a bit of satin black, and it just disappears.

I've learned a lot doing dash pads. It's not a walk in the park. But every time we have an issue, we've been able to reach a point of success or satisfaction. For the record, in over 7 years of selling the pads, I think we've had a total of two customers that we've been unable satisfy, either by exchange or further instruction or suggestion. Two out of over-2,000. A couple of months I was in a conversation with a fellow doing a high-end build for MCACN, and he was pleased as punch with the pad. Every so often we get a wonky or "shrunk" pad (mold temp not right), and we replace. So it's steady as she rolls for now. That's the best update that I can provide!! :)

Rick
    NPD