[email protected] please answer this dashpad question

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by need-for-speed, Sep 7, 2020.

1. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Rick - I was the guy you mentioned building the car for MCACN...and yes, the pad installation turned out very nice. I also want to give you big kudos for taking the time to answer my questions on how to get the dye to stick to the urethane. In today's world, your direct involvement is unusual...but very much appreciated. The "ghost" line was virtually undetectable on my pad and ultimately, not an issue as I sprayed my dash dark green and the line disappeared. My previous experience with aftermarket pads was the OER item...absolutely hands down your item is far superior, so thank you for investing your time and money to produce such a nice product!

2. need-for-speed

need-for-speed Veteran Member

Rick, that’s great info. Thanks for the detailed response.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. need-for-speed

I ordered the new NPD pad a couple of months ago. I probably won’t install until next year when I retire. I’ll do it at the same time I install the vintage air. The quality of the pad appears to be VERY GOOD !

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

Good deal. I did the opposite with my AC, since I had already deleted all the AC components under the hood, I continued to delete all the ducts and related parts under the dash. Let us know if you run into any hiccups with the install, when you get around to it. Pretty straightforward, but you never know.

need-for-speed likes this.
  5. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

i have installed a lot of dashes over the last 25 years. for years the only choice was to find a good used one. they became real expensive due to supply and demand. then oer came out with a repo. it fit terrible and had no inner structure to stiffen it. once the instrument cluster was installed it became part of the inner structure. it took a lot of ingenuity to get it installed. it was so bad i found a way to fix cracked original dashes. the dash npd sells is absolutely the best repo dash pad out there. i have installed around 15 of them and have had no issues whatsoever. i installed one 3 days ago and went in like a charm. if your needing a repo dash the npd dash is without question the best one out there. now if he would only come out with a 2nd gen firebird dash.

6. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

I'm having problems with a NPD dash right now, they are sending me a replacement. Would you be willing to look at a couple pic's and give me insight as to what the problem may be? Thanks...

7. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Post some pics of your issue.

8. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

I sent them earlier in a PM, they are in your inbox. Had to transfer them from my phone to computer. They just say images on this end. Hopefully they will open for you.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  9. need-for-speed

Any chance we could all see the pics and the issues? I would love a chance to learn from others.

10. camaroz22

camaroz22 Member

IMG_1766.JPG IMG_1767.JPG IMG_1768.JPG IMG_1769.JPG
    Installed a new OER dash first and couldn't live with the un-even line where it mates up to the metal dash. (I have it for sale) Actually some things I liked about the way it is made, but decided to spring for the best. The lines on the NPD are much better until I got to this point. My windshield is not glued in yet so I pulled it back out to try and massage the metal dash down to close the gap but no luck. NPD is very good to work with and have another pad on the way. I also have some pic's of the OER if anyone's interested, will sell it worth the money. The first pic's are with a new OER bezel, and the last ones are with the old OEM bezel as requested by NPD.

Last edited: May 5, 2021