Ridetech upper control arms

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by rcsf500, Nov 9, 2018.

1. rcsf500

rcsf500 New Member

Anyone using them ? Thoughts,opinions. Thanks in advance, Randy

2. rcsf500

rcsf500 New Member

Nobody,ok then

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'd imagine most of these tubular upper control arms will deliver a vast improvement over stock. After that, individual brands may have an edge over other brands, but whether that's noticeable depends on the user's ability to perceive it and the application (i.e. casual street use or more racing oriented).

hell, my Performance Online arms (which I'm sure a lot of people would consider bottom of the line) woke up the front end tremendously. I got them used on ebay really cheap which is why I took a chance on them. I'm in the casual street use category and I'm 100% satisfied with them. The delrin bushings and the 6 deg of caster I got are the two main things the arms delivered. Beyond those things, anything else probably would go unnoticed for what I do with the car, so more expensive arms wouldn't have been worth the money for me.

4. 79T/Aman

79T/Aman Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

there is no magic, all a control arm does is connect two moving points together, there is soooo much marketing BS out there attempting to steer customers to their product, bigger this or that, cad designed !! lasers!!, hyperbolic words of wisdom the list goes on, I've even seen made up words such as "double offset cross shafts" !!!!???? no such thing (FYI things can only be offset one way)
    Upper arm improvements can be broken down to a couple simple things:
    Do they significantly improve the ability to increase positive caster?
    Do they have improved bushings? (poly bushings are not an improvement)
    You also can check for improved clearance to other components such as headers.
    Is the ball joint angle improved for lowered cars?
    All the focus on strength is a waste on the upper arm as they do not see much stress especially if there is minimal bushing resistance.

5. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

79T/Aman, do you think the upper bump stop is important? That is my concern with some of the upper control arms out there.

6. 79T/Aman

the reality is that they are only needed when the car is jacked up, but if the car is not really lowered that much they will probably hit the upper mount.
    I was given flake when I first introduced our upper arms 14 years ago without a bump stop but they cleared the mount, but I still added the bump stop shortly after.
    What you should avoid are the circle track ones, they are weaker than stock ones (made to bend ), made for different ball joints and no added caster.

7. rcsf500

rcsf500 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys ! They're the only tig welded arm out there,therefore they have my intrest

8. 79T/Aman

FYI, tig is no better than mig welded parts, just more expensive due to it being more time consuming

9. rcsf500

rcsf500 New Member

I've made my living as a metal model maker for the past 40 years. So you'll have to forgive me if i disagree

10. camaro71/holland

camaro71/holland Veteran Member

Incorrect, frist hand information: your UCAs hit the mount and together with a stock LCA the upper balljoint was pushed that far out that it cut/destroyed the rubber boot. That's on a '71er with approx 1" drop.