Ridler 675's Rear 17x9.5 with 5.05" Backspace

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
I have been looking at these rims but I am having a hard time visualizing how they will sit with the 5.05 backspace. Does anyone here have experience with these or a similar setup and backspacing? I am thinking something like a 275/40. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rid-675-7961s

Almost everything I see on the threads I have search show a 5.50 backspace...

Sorry for being such a noob, but I think I am getting confused with backspacing versus offset. Will the 5.05 backspace give me more rim toward the wheel opening or does it bring it in closer to the inner fender?

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
Backspace is the distance from the innermost point on the wheel bead, to the center hub. More backspace = wheels are pushed inwards on the car.
Offset is how far the hub sits from the center of the wheel. Offset is usually measured in mm whereas backspace is measured in inches.
A 10" wheel with 5" of backspace would be 0 offset. A 10" wheel with 4" Backspace would have 1" (25.4mm) positive offset

This is a great tool to visualize https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

For a 2nd gen, a 9.5" wheel with 5.05" backspace won't fit right on the front. You really want more like a 8" wheel with 5-5.5" backspace
They will probably fit the back with fender rolling, but will sit farther out on the car and optimum

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
Backspace is the distance from the innermost point on the wheel bead, to the center hub. More backspace = wheels are pushed inwards on the car.
Offset is how far the hub sits from the center of the wheel. Offset is usually measured in mm whereas backspace is measured in inches.
A 10" wheel with 5" of backspace would be 0 offset. A 10" wheel with 4" Backspace would have 1" (25.4mm) positive offset

This is a great tool to visualize https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

For a 2nd gen, a 9.5" wheel with 5.05" backspace won't fit right on the front. You really want more like a 8" wheel with 5-5.5" backspace
They will probably fit the back with fender rolling, but will sit farther out on the car and optimum
Thank you for explaining and the link. These 9.5 with the 5” backspace would be just for the rear. I just can’t visualize how far out that would bring it out with the tire. I wonder if it would be behind the inner fender lip or past that. Would it be as far out as the outer fender reveal? I just don’t know.

Lowend

Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca.
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 25, 1999
San Jose, CA, USA
2nd gen Camaro's have somewhat poor quality control from the factory. The rear end in these vehicles can be shifted from one side or another by as much as 1/4"
It makes it very difficult to know exactly where wheels are going to sit. The 17x9.5 with a 275/40/17 should work out back, it's just not optimum. If you don't already have these wheels, I would get something else more optimal

SilverGT1

Mar 26, 2020
Cameron Park, CA
2nd gen Camaro's have somewhat poor quality control from the factory. The rear end in these vehicles can be shifted from one side or another by as much as 1/4"
It makes it very difficult to know exactly where wheels are going to sit. The 17x9.5 with a 275/40/17 should work out back, it's just not optimum. If you don't already have these wheels, I would get something else more optimal
Lowend, thanks. I appreciate the feedback.

I have continued my info search and found a great thread right here on our forum: https://nastyz28.com/threads/sticky-thread-for-wheel-and-tire-combos.47101/

What is impressive is that I saw your post from 2006 about running 17x11" 5.75" Backspace 315/35WR17. That is a lot of meat and sort of the direction I want to go without cutting up the car for mini-tubs

What I am finding now is that the wheel selection with larger rim sizes over 9.5" are getting very limited when you start looking at the back spacing we need. I want to stay 17" max. Anything larger, in my opinion, starts to fight with the look of the car.

Any sources for a wider wheel selection would be awesome. I've been searching the net. Summit has a pretty good selection.

Latest posts