Rocker/lifter tick

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CT1275, Sep 21, 2020.

1. CT1275

CT1275 Member

Hey all. Ok, so first I'm definitely not a master at lashing valves but I thought I had a handle on it. But have some concerns as this could be multiple things. Had a lifter ticking sound and it had been discovered that the rockers were just contacting the valve covers. So I ground on the inside of the covers to clearance, cleaned and reinstalled. Lifters seemed ok at the time. Maybe a touch loose. Adjusted a little.
    This is a new engine, new rockers, cam and hyd flat tappet lifters that came as a set from Comp Cams. Engine broke in with high zddp oil for about 25 minutes total. Did have to stop and restart but the car was never left at idle. Prior to break in we primed the oil pump. Nothing coming out of right bank. One of the guys there noticed the lifters were easy to push down on and thought collapsed lifters but I pointed out they had no oil in them yet. We found out that without a high speed drill we likely wouldnt see oil on that side on a Chevy and we are good. Then we did break in.
    So after clearancing covers and re-lash and still ticking I took the covers back off to clearance more and found a pushrod laying on an angle and just coming up through the opening in the head on cylinder #4. The end came out of the lifter. It's not bent or broken. I was able to see the lifter coming up and down so seems the cam is ok (or at least not all the way gone). Not bent or broke. Reinstalled. Found one other lifter needed a good amount of adjustment and a couple needed a little adjustment. Relash again. Then I'm worried am I now adjusting too much to compensate. Start car, still lifter tick. Read into it and hear flat tappet and certain brand lifter or aggressive cams can sometimes click like this and sound like loose rockers. So then how do you troubleshoot to figure out if this is normal ticking, loose rockets, bad lifter or other. Kinda lost at this point now and stressing about this. I'm still using high zddp oil. Is ticking normal? Not a huge cam but decent size for a flat tappet. Its .490/.490 lift with 1.5 rockers but using 1.55 so closer to .506/.506 lift , 230/236 dur at .050.
    Thanks guys for any help. Stressing about it here.

2. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What weight oil are you running?
    Go one turn down from zero lash.
    And.......wrong section

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

With that much duration, you gotta be really sure each lifter is on the base circle of the cam. Very easy to think the lifter is on the base circle and it actually is not. How are your pushrods being centered? Guideplates or self aligning rockers?

4. CT1275

CT1275 Member

5. CT1275

CT1275 Member

Using guideplates. These are also hardened Comp pushrods gir guideplates. I'll also work on relashing and making sure I'm on base circle. I usually turn the engine over a couple full revolutions, 1/4 at a time and check each rocket at each turn. I think it might be best to loosen them all and start over readjusting. Would you agree or no?

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Adjust the rockers using the EOIC method and 1/2 turn down from 0 lash. When using the EOIC method, DO NOT spin the push rod to get to 0 lash but use the up and down movement and when there is no more movement then you are at 0 lash, then turn rocker nut 1/2 turn tighter. When doing the up down movement with the push rod with your fingers, don’t have a socket on the nut.

Coadster32 likes this.
  7. CT1275

CT1275 Member

That's how I did it when I assembled the engine but idk if the lifters not being pumped up might have thrown it off? With the intake on and everything assembled it might be hard getting fingers in there, especially with guideplates too, but I'll try. I've been trying to wiggle the rocker up and down for play but I might be pushing down some on the lifter (adjusted cold).
    Also, is lifter tick normal with a hydraulic flat tappet cam and lifter with this kind of lift? I thought hydraulic lifters took that away.

8. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Being "pumped-up" has nothing to do with it IF you are using the up and down method. I just got my engine back together last week. I watched a lot of videos on other peoples technique as I was cautious as well. I ended up using the tried and true EOIC method. It eliminates any shortcuts, and doesn't matter what cam you have in it, it will be accurate. I started with the twist/spin method, and quickly realized that I could spin them by hand even after lash. I went to the up-and down, and got it right. I had the intake off when I did this, but did it blindly anyway, just to see and double check. Up and down was the right way to go. Weather your lifter is full of fluid or not, the spring inside should keep the plunger at the top against the clip. You will just have less resistance if it is not full. It is really easy to be cautious for the first few, and then get sloppy down the line. HANDS ONLY when finding your lash.

9. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Run down to Autozone and get a set of rocker clips to stop the oil from squirting, adjust the valves with the engine idling as slow as you can. Loosen until you hear it click, take up slack, down what ever you want. I usually go 1/4 turn. I use an old valve cover that I cut a slot in but you don't really need that.

10. CT1275

CT1275 Member

I was thinking of doing that with some old covers I have. Thanks