Rocker/lifter tick

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by CT1275, Sep 21, 2020.

1. CT1275

CT1275 Member

Does anyone think that the rocker arms pinging agaings the inside wall of the valve cover could make the rocker loosen up? I tightened it down last time, took the cover off and the same one was loose. I started the engine with the cover off to make sure it was functioning ok. Looked like it was moving ok, but also the "lifter tick" basically went away. There are still rub marks on the inside of the cover so its definitely hitting.

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Swap the nut from another valve and see if the loosening nut goes to the other valve. If the nuts are not new then they will back off unless you have lock nuts.

3. CT1275

CT1275 Member

I could try that but they're roller rockers with the center lock screw. Polylocks? Is that right?

4. Chevyforever

Chevyforever Veteran Member

The top of each rocker stud should be machined flat so poly lock set screw can do its proper job.

5. COPO

So with lock nuts, it’s really impossible for a nut to back off unless your weak. I would crank the engine with a remote switch and make sure all the rocker arms have full open movement and if they don’t then your cam lobe is wearing.

Here is what my #3 intake valve looked like in Jun 2013 when I lost that solid lifter lobe. I was pissed cause it was only 8700 miles. I went with a roller cam after this.

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is possible if they are still rubbing. I had to clear the sides of my valve covers as well. The polylocks shouldn't back out, unless other forces, (hitting valve covers might do it), are acting on them.

COPO's point is that if you swap the nut with another arm, you watch to see if the problem follows the nut, or stays with the valve. Then you'll know where to further investigate. If it is still rubbing, then you need more clearance regardless of which nut you have on it.

7. CT1275

CT1275 Member

Yeah, I'm gonna be grinding today and crossing my fingers.

8. COPO

There are 2 lock nuts you can buy, short and tall.

9. CT1275

CT1275 Member

I think they're tall but not sure. They seem to stand out quite a bit. They came with the rockers.

10. CT1275

CT1275 Member