Rocker Panel Woes

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
if the search feature was worth a damn we could find out. If you search for "rocker" on NastyZ28.com using Google then you get nothing but results for roller rockers. :rolleyes:

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
Id rub that with acid and steel wool.If it didn't come out of the pits with that,Id tape paper towels on there,and soak it with acid.Or see if there was a comparable jell type product.Or lightly sandblast.
If all the discoloration came out,Id seal with epoxy,then fill over it,as long as none of those are HOLES,or thin enough to almost be.
If you cut and patch,youre going to have to find,or cut a hole to provide access to the back of the weld area to seal it anyway.
I would see what the outside holds first,before cutting.

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
so when you cut a hole to access the back of a weld area, how do you access the back of the hole you cut when you weld that back in place? Know what I'm saying?

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
After burning in my frame connectors.
76_TypeLT said:
so when you cut a hole to access the back of a weld area, how do you access the back of the hole you cut when you weld that back in place? Know what I'm saying?

Rumpity_z28

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2004
Hope B.C.
you dont have to replace that rocker thats in great shape, just treat it with acid or vineager with a scrubby pad and you will be just fine. make sure to give it a couple of coats of epoxy primer afterwards. theres lots of great vids of this on you tube from the pro's.

jamieg285

Veteran Member
Jul 15, 2004
Luton, England
You might be thinking of this one:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279686

It wasn't too difficult, but very time consuming.

For what it's worth, I've got the other side to deal with. It's far worse that yours (there are clear holes) and I am going to try patching before resigning to have to replace the whole thing.

If it were me, I'd give some good pokes with something sharp to check for thin/weak spots, treat it and cover with epoxy and filler to smooth it out.

76_TypeLT

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
Do keep in mind that some epoxy primer makers strongly advise against spraying their product over metal that's been treated chemically. So read the spec sheet of whatever epoxy primer you intend on using and make sure you do what's right.

I still stand by media blasting as that removes all the rust and scale.

Latest posts