roll bar or no roll bar?

atvsteve

Veteran Member
Aug 21, 2009
montreal
OK boys,
I have a 1972 Camaro that's street and strip, it is completely street legal from A to Z and will run 11.00 flat @ 120.??.
I am replacing the trunk pan because it has 8 holes from the old fuel cell and battery box and is a little week under where the fuel cell use to be and also a patch from the fuel cell lines.
I removed the rear window filler because the previous owner had filled in the 2 gaps. go figure!
once all the work is done I don't plan on ever coming back to this area.
do I... or do I not... install a roll bar? this will probably mean racing seats and belts, the car is mint over all, inside/out.
will the value go up or down?
I only race the car 5 times a year if I'm lucky! but drive the car a least once a week to work or shows in the summer.

pictures;
http://s287.photobucket.com/home/65special/index

Thanks for your input!
Steven :bowtie:

sovain

Veteran Member
Sep 12, 2008
cambridge,ontario
faster than 11.49 you will need a rollbar,so put one in.
as for value that depends on what it`s worth vs what you think it`s worth.

your car sounds badass!

atvsteve

Veteran Member
Aug 21, 2009
montreal
there's hardly no tech at my track, only for big meets (twice a year maybe 3) and they are the ones you want to attend, no waiting around, no poo boxes! :)

frankz

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Regarding value: From a purist stand point the most valuable specimen of a car is that vehicle as it comes off of the transporter--factory stickers,seat plastic etc. that has never seen a wrench.That is the collector's "gold standard".These cars exist but won't see the light of day until an estate changes hands.

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
Most (good safety minded) drag strips have a policy that certain ETs there are mandatory safety devices like five point harnesses, roll bars, side bars, roll cages, etc. I'm sure that others here can tell you exactly what the minimums safety devices are for you.

Think of a roll bar or cage this way: what is your life and limbs worth? 11 seconds through the 1/4 mile at 120+ mph means that you're covering 2+ miles a minute or about 30' a second. Things go wrong (and they will) a good certified roll cage will mean that you have a good chance of walking away relatively unhurt.

z28rod

Veteran Member
Apr 30, 2009
hopewell junction,ny
Our Track Up Here Is Lebenon Valley Speedway, They Use The Nhra Standards For Safety. 11.49 Needs A 5 Point Cage Min... I Bet Most Tracks Are Close To The Nhra Stnds..

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
no if and or buts NHRA requires/mandates when a car reaches 11.49ET the vehicle is required to have roll bar .if you want you can continue to run without one but it is unsafe and if you're ever caught running faster than 11.49ET they will either pull your tech car and show you the gate or ask you to dial your car down to run slower ET's