Roll cage advice

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by Gasoholic, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Veteran Member

To me those cages are astronomically expensive. You could have one done at a shop and not even get dirty for less. I think my 8 point ran about $250 and I did it at home.

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

A cage still needs to approved. And your life is more important Just save your money till you afford your cage .

Smokey15 likes this.
  3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

If I wait till I can afford stuff it will never happen :)

Actually I spoke to a shop about having one welded in and they quoted me $3500.00.
    I have the ability to install it myself. Just want to make sure what I go to all the work to install is going to meet specs.

The RPM cage is NHRA certified. They said if it doesn't pass they will give me my money back. I don't see that promise from the other products I listed so I will probably go with the RPM cage.

John Wright likes this.
  4. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That RPM cage does look really nice, looks like the side bars are out of the way (not hitting you head driving around without helmet) I just wonder how difficult it is to install, and I have seen some of the built cages that were put in so tight, that you almost didn't see that there was one installed, that one was a custom made one , that I am sure cost good money in the fab work , guess when I get a 4 turbo nitrous full race engine, then I will worry about cages HAA HA

5. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Veteran Member

I haven't caught any grief at all with mine. It was a Competition Engineering kit. I actually think it looks good too. Full interior.

6. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

S&W Performance has 15% off there cages now. Thinking of ordering there 10pt chrome moly cage myself

7. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

This. S&W stuff is nice, and reasonably priced. swracecars.com

8. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

IMG_20180310_182439643.jpg IMG_20180310_182259895.jpg
    This is the S&W 10 point in my car. It's certified to 8.50. You can get a cage from them with the "pro street" style bars that hug the roof and turn down at the package shelf. To run 10.0 and slower, you only need a 6 point. Swing out door bars are allowed all the way down to 8.50. You don't need a cert for a 6 point cage/ 10.0 or slower.

[email protected] likes this.
  9. nobreaks254

nobreaks254 Veteran Member

^^^is your cage mild or 4140? If you wouldn't mind posting more pics I'd love to see more. Did you install yourself?

10. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

Currently it's mild steel, I have the 4130 cage from S&W to put in, just haven't had time. I will probably leave it as is until I get the car finished, then update the cage when I get time. I will get more pictures when I finish paint job 2.0, I decided to change color after I scratched the quarter and realized how much of a bitch it was to match the custom paint I mixed for it. I am now spraying it red for ease of repair, it's a race car so I know I'm going to scratch it. IMG_20190713_164343468.jpg