Roll on Paint Job Guys.......Regrets?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 71 Camaro, Apr 23, 2012.

1. kenny77

kenny77 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's much more than that.

It's become a constant theme that now runs through this entire forum(s).

Used to be that when people posted threads about the things they were doing and working on, they were looking for the correct answers and the RIGHT advice. And they listened and then came out better for it.

Now what the trend is that people are out to tell us how to get around things the easy way, how they want to post multiple threads and want advice from those that know.....but...then proceed to tell everyone that their way is the easy and cheap way so even if it's jury rigged...they know better. I have no friggin idea why they post in the first place. It's almost like they are debate junkies or something.

This is with most all subjects. From paint jobs to engines, to oil pans, that's what's happening around here.

What it's really doing is keeping members with the real knowledge and advice from posting....at all. Why get caught up in another 5 page long debate thread when all the proper advice gets blown off anyway?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  2. jjs3788

jjs3788 Veteran Member

I actually did this on my wifes T/A. Two years ago. It was a lot of work. I did about 12 coats over a four day period. Then a couple days of wet sanding and a couple days of buffing. When it was done it looked real nice. No one believed it was rolled on. We used white paint. Had a nice shine. However after a couple years it looks a bit dull on the sides. Maybe it will buff up to a shine again, but I haven't tried. The main thing we noticed is the paint seems to chip easily. Don't know if that's the case or not but it seems too. We did this simply for the cost. It was about $70 to do the whole thing.that dosent count the buffer or supplies. The car does need to be repainted and it will be sprayed with automotive paint this time. I'm a little more willing to try it now then I was back then. It worked for the time and it was a temporary option for us. Let me know if you have any more questions.

3. jjs3788

jjs3788 Veteran Member

Not a good close up, but here is a pic of it next to mine

[​IMG]

4. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Well guys many of you miss the point. There are many pros and only a few cons. Anybody who wants to know why to do this, please do a google search. For the record nobody has yet to say they regretted it and all I hear are reports of it turning out great. My concern is how does it last over the long term.

I still maintain that cod oil is a rust deterrent and I do not understand why anyone would think differently without having seen some proof. So are we simply hating or have we seen proof? I'm thinking the former.

As for repainting over Rustoleum, it can easily be done and obviously it isn't gummy or you'd not be able to rub it out to a mirror finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AmSWKk-2hw&feature=related

I honestly don't understand why those who have never tried something are so adamantly against it. Give it a try and then come back with a useful opinion, okay?

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like you already have your mind made up. Go for it. Posting about it on a open forum and then lamenting about differing opinions is kind of silly IMO. Do your thing because you'll never get that feel good pat on the back from everyone.

6. jjs3788

jjs3788 Veteran Member

Hey 71, did you read my post ? I do not regret doing it at all. It did exactly what I needed it to do, be cheap and fast and take no talent to do. It did look good. but as I said my paint job seemed to chip relatively easy. I don't know if that was my fault with preparation or if that's just what the jobs are prone to do. now that I am a little more experienced and I don't mind trying some new things I am going to get a dvd to teach me how to paint at home and I will try to spray the next paint job. this is only my opinion but I kind of believe that there is a reason automotive shops used automotive paint. but again like I said it was cheap and easy and I need it to get the entire car done in a very short time with limited knowledge and budget so the roll on paint job did exactly what I needed it to do look good n b a temporary fix. sorry for the grammatical errors I'm using the voice function on my phone and I'm tired of going back and fixing every 1 of them

7. Matt's 73 z

Matt's 73 z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you can't deal with the answer, don't ask the question. Evidently the internet has told you it's a great idea so what's the point of asking/arguing about it here? It's no skin off my back if you refuse to listen to those that know what they are doing. It's your car, do what you want.

8. 71 Camaro

71 Camaro Veteran Member

Hate to keep flogging a dead horse, but some of these comments are pretty off the wall. I never was looking for opinions guys. Read the title: Roll on Paint Guys.......Regrets? It's pretty simple really. I know plenty think it's a dumb idea, but what's even dumber is posting off topic replies.

All I requested was those who have tried it to tell us how things turned out. Obviously some of you can't read or just like to be sh*theads.

and for the record I have yet to try this and maybe I won't. Just looking for more input. As time goes by, I'd think you'd see many people saying OMG this was an AWFUL idea why did I do this? Yet, haven't seen a one.

Those who haven't tried it and would actually like to be helpful, please post links to threads where guys wish they hadn't done it. That is the entire point of this thread. I've yet to see anybody who wasn't happy with the results.

9. hullj21

hullj21 Member Lifetime Gold Member

WOW.......................................... that just sounds nuts even on somebody else's car.......

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I have always wondered if you were doing a solid color,why not try a single stage urethane and roll it on with a few coats. Maybe dont reduce it so that it is less likly to run,and you will need fewer coats. Use the catalyst so that you can color sand and buff it after a few days. I cant see why it wouldnt work. I am thinking that you could buy a gallon of cheap ingle stage(Omni,Nason ect) and the catalyst for under $150 and have enought to do the whole car. Just remember that whatever you mix will be garbage an hour or two after you mix it,so have the car ready,and only mix what you need. Maybe prep a few panels at a time and paint them together so you dont need to mix as many batches of paint.