Rough, plumbing advice.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Jun 19, 2021.

1. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yesterday had a tornado come in, I wasn't around and car was outside. hail damage galore, already got insurance called and getting that fixed.

I noticed last night tornado the drain water was getting real high, I reached arm down in hole and there was gravel. A lot of it. I sucked it out and drain resumed working.

I realized there was a hole in side of drain pipe. ): it busted I don’t know how, I reached hand into the broke out hole andpulled out a chunk of the missing pipe, the other piece is stuck in there

I wanted to pull both out and jb weld the pipe back together or something

how does this happen? Cost estimate? Do it myself?

Attached Files:

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe... A proper sized piece of PCV pipe slid down inside the cast portion will work?

You will need to measure the inside diameter of the cast iron part to determine what will fit properly.

Zstar likes this.
  3. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's going to SUK....at best. I'm on my phone so pics may not be real life kinda representation. Next up FIX would be use an oscillating tool and cut out tile for bigger drain....then an inside pip cutter....replace "mouth"....

4. FreedomPenguin

[​IMG]

it looks like, top to right in photo, the ccrack is continuing. if it isn't, its going too. how much would it cost to tear out that whole pipe and redo it?

trenchless piping? I am hoping I am not out a lot of money. I could do that method, but I worry the rest of the pipe is degrading.

my mustang got pummeled by hail, I was away, and gf cant drive stick so she watched it get hammered and she has a rental car because her car is in shop from wreck, it got hit with hail too gah. terrible day.

5. FreedomPenguin

I have full French drains around the house, sump pump, drain tiles, the whole works. man. I hope my house isn't about to bankrupt my ass. before I bought house, the garage was settling in a corner, they have those helical piers in the ground, 4 of them, it cost them 20k. then they had the drains, tiles, French drains, sump etc. all installed. but this just happened in last year, because last year it wasn't like that, sometimes in summer, I pour a little water in the drain when it is all dried up.

ive been here 5 years without any issues at all.

edit. last winter, we had a hellacious 2 weeks. it literally STORMED for like week straight, and then went to -25* and froze everything, I had concrete lifted, etc, everyone had a big issue. I wonder if when that happened, everything flooded, and then froze, if it shifted the foundation a bit, and the flooding/freezing, caused that pipe to break.

that is actually my main assumption right now. it took weeks for my concrete /driveway garage etc, to finally settle back in place back to normal. it was like inches raised, wasn't just me, everyone had this issue.

6. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Looks like thats in the vertical pipe above the floor drain. They probably graveled around it during installation and thats what fell into the pipe after it cracked.
    Stick a magnet down into trap to pull any pieces of cast iron out. Run/flush it with water hose to be sure it drains. Patch the hole with quick set cement if you can reach it. If not, short PVC pipe for sleeve will work. Just don't go down so far it blocks the trap. No worries, any odor should stay downstream of the trap. When you remodel, dig down, cut pipe and stub up w pvc. Or relocate it out of the middle of room!
    If real concerned, have someone do a scope/video of the rest of the sewer pipe.

7. FreedomPenguin

I can reach my hand in there fully, are you saying I should fill the entire hole with concrete? like the busted out area, and shove a bunch into it? would water still get past the concrete? that is my concer.

I dont intend on remodeling lol. so thats why I want to fix this, I am very happy with it how it is. on one of the photos, I am going to try to word this correctly, look at the photo the cracked pipe, goes below this other surface, see on the bottom of the cracked hole? there's like a metal material behind it, if I did dig it up, how am I supposed to put a piece of pipe or remove that section, if there's additional material around it? just kind of strange.

should I look into those epoxy filler companies? or would that too, eventually break? they said 225 to put a camera through, with no quote on how much a pipe can cost to sleeve or whatever. i am not against the idea, to be fixed without destroying everything, but I dont want it to crack a year later and be back to stage 1 and be out an amount of money.

one company said they won't even come out for less than 2.5k I was like are you serious.

[​IMG]

8. FreedomPenguin

basically what I mean is, if I was to cut all the way down, I cant get below the bottom of the hole, there's a wall/material right there, looks like more metal. not just gravel at that ledge

9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The bottom of the hole needs to be open to drain.
    All you need is something to plug, fill or block the hole in the side to prevent more gravel from falling in.

Epoxy or cement should work fine.
    A PVC sleeve should work too.

You could epoxy the sleeve into place or just fill the upper edge with silicone caulk if it’s slightly smaller than the cast iron drain pipe.

Just run it down to the collar you can see around the bottom of the hole.

There’s no water pressure to worry about in a floor drain.

10. FreedomPenguin

should I worry about the, photo, appearing to be more hairline cracks? does my theory of when it super stormed in winter/froze everything solid sound like it would of done this? 5 years, never had an issue, every year I dump water in/check it because during drought summer it would dry up sometimes and let a little smell in, so id just pour some water down in it to fill it up.

this happen this year. I gather, I should fill that void back up with either concrete or gravel, im sure it has a purpose instead of being a hollow cavity.

PVC sleeves, require me digging though correct? I cant see any sleeve working from the inside of the pipe out. hopefully would not be too much hassle, my worry is fixing this, and finding out it breaks again shortly. thats why I was considering that epoxy type tubing to do the entire pipe if could be done within a reasonable price.