Rough, plumbing advice.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by FreedomPenguin, Jun 19, 2021.

1. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Agreed. It's a floor drain. Hole is above the trap (water) seal. Patch the hole in the pipe with whatever works.
    When waste comes "up" that pipe, then worry!

wiseryder likes this.
  2. flint9

flint9 Veteran Member

plug with hydraulic cement,home depot has it, that is good old cast iron pipe, can last a long time but tends to be brittle over time. sleeve with pvc, or maybe see if they make any pipe liners like they use on city sewer systems. but like everybody said it is a florr drain, not your toliet.

3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

the drain is 3 inch internal diameter, couldn't find 2.5 inch pvc pipes, I did find a rubber couple, two of them attached together in length, but they had a diameter of 2.875 or so. I put a 2 inch pvc through both of them, caulked them together, I affixed it firmly to the side of wall where the crack was, and sealed around it. it seems sturdy, I doubt anymore debris falls down in there. only downfall is now I need to find a smaller shopvac hose to fit down through the hole to suck it out periodically, I just ordered a 1.25 inch shopvac wand 20 inches long or so.

if I need to remove it, I can cut the caulk, reach through the pvc or grab the pvc and pull it up.

but it was 8 dollar fix, I used gorilla waterproof caulk. fingers crossed this doesnt cause any issues.

4. FreedomPenguin

it dont look the prettiest, but when I set it in, I really pushed hard, for the rubber coupler to push against the wall area, I tried to fill with concrete but that was hard, couldn't really do it. im thinking this should work, worst case, I can pull it back out. cut the caulk up top, and pull the pvc out. I caulked the rubber couplers to the pvc to ensure they wouldn't come loose if I ever needed to remove it. worth a shot

Attached Files:

5. FreedomPenguin

I didn't like the look of the pvc pipe etc I want to be able to use a full size shopvac if I ever need for emergency. I ripped it out, I wanted an fully open floor. I found in the Lowes aisle when I was looking for tape, FLEXSEAL tape, pretty damn thick, and its 8 inches long, was much wider and longer than the hole.

I know the correct way is to dig it up, fix it etc. but if it never moves again I will try it, right now I dont have much excess funds to do a big repair and the camera people told me they was booked up and wanted a deposit non refundable to prebook. didn't sound like my cup of tea.

I cleaned the pipe with some mild sandpaper and rubbing alcohol, then I put gorilla caulk on back of the tape piece, smeared around, and such. I smeared it down in there, then I went around the edge for extra precaution with a bead of caulk too. its a small opening and it was hard to get the caulk in there but it is sealed

isn't the best, but it sealed the hole off, and its been down pouring for a week and nothing seems to have moved or shifted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  6. Patstuff28

Patstuff28 Veteran Member

I just bought a roll of FLEXSEAL to see if I can salvage my dishwasher. That stuff is crazy sticky. I don’t know why you would have to add anything else to the back of it. It says that you can use a blow dryer to make it set up quicker.

7. FreedomPenguin

its just weird, wasn't really sticking to the pipe, no big deal. when I pulled the pvc/rubber out, I was able to get the gorilla caulk out easy enough. so no harm using it as extra glue/bond. I felt like over doing it rather than under doing it this time.