RS Conversion Thread…OER vs GM

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Of course most will say you can’t beat GM, but some reproduction parts are essential as some are hard to come by or ridiculously expensive.
For an RS conversion, which OER parts are great and which ones must you just seek out original? RS conversion parts only please. The focus is not only fitment but also appearance to look like OE.

Last edited:

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
Not sure about the sheet metal as mine is all original. But I do have a repop chrome grille surround that works well with the original nose and grills, not inexpensive though. I also have one repop turn signal light and apart from the metric fasteners it is hard to tell from the original on the other side.

rotin

badazz81z28

Veteran Member
May 4, 2001
Alabama
Not sure about the sheet metal as mine is all original. But I do have a repop chrome grille surround that works well with the original nose and grills, not inexpensive though. I also have one repop turn signal light and apart from the metric fasteners it is hard to tell from the original on the other side.

rotin

Thanks, I was curious about the park lights. The Repops are very expensive. Found some decent priced used housings, but the lens to replace are ridiculously expensive.

Allison Winn

Veteran Member
Jan 10, 2021
I agree on the OER surround - I could not find a good original, it fits and looks really nice. Rubber nose still sucks I am told

ecrump06

Aug 5, 2016
newman, california
Of course most will say you can’t beat GM, but some reproduction parts are essential as some are hard to come by or ridiculously expensive.
For an RS conversion, which OER parts are great and which ones must you just seek out original? RS conversion parts only please. The focus is not only fitment but also appearance to look like OE.

i heard anvil auto rs style front fits pretty well. I had oer hood and rs conversion but the fit was bad. I ended up finding original gm parts to replace it versus doing a bunch of bodywork. I also have the custom works performance fiberglass nose and that took some massaging to fit nicely.

72BIGBLOCK

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
SF
I got lucky and found a whole complete front end for 400 about ten years ago and I still have it.
A friend of mine used some repro parts and it looks well I don’t think you should rule it out.

75Maro

Veteran Member
Mar 31, 2008
Dallas,Tx
My entire front end is repop. Core support/fenders/hood and upper/lower valance. All mounting holes were enlarged to achieve good alignment. That being said I knew that going into it. I didn’t want to spend the coin on OEM stuff that would require work anyway. I also have the custom works nose.

Latest posts