RS header panel on non-RS car?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by vintagecarenthusiast, Jun 21, 2018.

1. vintagecarenthusiast

vintagecarenthusiast Member

I keep seeing RS header panels or maybe custom header panels on non-RS cars but I have never been able to find a build thread or any information about it. Will an RS header panel fit on a non-RS car? Or are the pictures of cars that have both sets of parking lights custom metal work fabricated from a standard header panel? If it does fit then could I mount an RS bumper to the header panel and valance?

camaro with both sets of parking lights.jpg camaro rs not rs.jpg rs not rs 2.jpeg

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

I am pretty those cars are using standard headers with the RS parking lights welded in the RS spot..basically cut up a RS panel and weld away

RS bumperettes will fit a standard front end...it's a popular mod among some camaro owners...and instantly becomes an option GM never offered new...The Split Bumper Camaro.

You'll see that term thrown around a lot on the web...especially in a car ad to try and drive the value up

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  3. vintagecarenthusiast

Okay. So if I love the look of both sets of parking lights then I could probably get are skilled welder to combine an non rs panel and rs panel .... but at that point I'm probably throwing good money that could just be spent on a full rs conversion kit.

4. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

But then you still don't have the banana lights under the bumper. Probably cheaper to add the RS lights.

vintagecarenthusiast likes this.
  5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Be a neat place for some cold air inlets.

6. mech393

mech393 Veteran Member

I read where someone had shown how they made that setup with pictures, I think it was in one of the hotrod magazines. But I think it looks weird with two sets of driving lights, if I did it I would remove the lower lights and round the metal to make it look like it never had lower lights

7. ggtsvnv

ggtsvnv Veteran Member

IIRC,
    Chip Fose did this like 15 years ago on an overhauling show. He took a standard header and cut it out for the RS lights.

8. BradySmmrs

BradySmmrs New Member

9. vintagecarenthusiast

I agree about removing the lowers. I don't hate the lower parking lights with the uppers but if it was bolt on I would just replace the lower valance. Are the brackets and mounting areas for the header panel and valance different on a stock RS car? The previous owner already put split bumpers on mine. If I bought the header panel and lower valance would that bolt on?

10. vintagecarenthusiast

I'd love to find this video. My brief search couldn't find it but I'll do a bit more digging later.