RS/Z28, maybe ?

Discussion in 'VIN, Trim Tag & Drivetrain Decoding' started by Mark Phillips, Nov 26, 2021.

1. Mark Phillips

Mark Phillips New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm a Newbie here and apologize first for typing and grammar. With that have being said, I'm thinking of purchasing a 73 RS car that is also tagged a Z28. There is no build sheet but the car has hide away wipers and also has the chrome trim rings around the inside of the tail lights. I'll try and post the protecto plate too,but what the chances it's a true RS and a Z28 ? T Z28 Protecto.jpg

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The Z28 on the trim tag identifies it as a Z28. Also, you can verify the Z28 by decoding the VIN. It will have the T code in it. So, that part is easy.

RS is more difficult. does it have an RS front end? That is what matters. Only RS cars had the RS front end. Beyond that, hideaway wipers were included in the RS option, but they were available separately on any Camaro. The dual ring chrome tail lights were not included in the RS package in 1973. The only way to get them that year was by ordering Z21 style trim package, so if the car has the taillights with both rings, it has Z21, but that doesn't tell you anything about RS.

GREGS396 and 2ndGenCrazy like this.
  3. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

4. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

A true 73 RS will have extra braces (one year only) in the front.

5. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

I have no idea where you are geographically but if there’a any chance the car was originally purchased new in Canada for a fee you’ll be able to get all that information and more from Vintage GM.

6. McCune

McCune Veteran Member

Silver Z28 with black and blue cloth seats. Cool!

7. Mark Phillips

Mark Phillips New Member

8. Mark Phillips

Mark Phillips New Member

I knew that the car was originally silver, it red now with black stripes, also has black interior which doesn't bother me at all. I have looked up the vin and decoded it as well and of course it has a T in it for the Z engine.

Can I send off to GM and get the original build sheet ?

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

GM can't offer build sheets unless the car was sold new in Canada. GM of Canada has all those records. GM of US does not. GM of US does have dealer invoices for some of the Camaros, but I believe that is only for '77 and newer.
    You already know it is a Z28, and a bit of detective work should tell you if it has the RS option.

10. Mark Phillips

Mark Phillips New Member

Thanks Gary, it does have hideaway wipers and the chrome ring in the tail lights, so I guess that's as good as it gets I suppose. No worries though, looks good to me !!