RTV on Timing Cover Gasket

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by GPN, Jul 13, 2020.

1. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

My 1979Z now has a (1989) crate motor. The oil pan was leaking so we removed engine Seems the timing cover casket had RTV sealant. Could that have been the cause of leak? we are trying to decide Wether to put RTV on the timing cover part of the gasket or not. (We are aware of the 4-corner spots)

2. twestrup

twestrup Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

budro6968 likes this.
  3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would use the gasket sealer on both sides. Paper will eventually leak without it.

4. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Not paper gasket.....one piece Fel-Pro for lower half........sorry I wasn’t more specific. I’ll send a picture

5. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

Attached Files:

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Again, the timing cover gasket is some type of paper. Use sealer on both sides and RTV in the bottom 2 corners of the oil pan or it will leak.

7. Camaro Tim01

Camaro Tim01 Veteran Member

Back in the day I had a timing cover that leaked, after about 4 times changing the gasket... I finally said screw it, took off the cover, threw out the gasket and placed a 1/4" bead of RTV all around it and put the cover back on, wiped the extra that stuck out.... never leaked again... years later I realized it wasn't the gaskets, the cover was probably bent.... ahh to be young and stupid again LOL

and yes if your doing the oil pan gasket.... the one piece is the way to go

8. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

That’s good color. First thing I did when I removed the oil pan was throw that flimsy piece of crap away & bought a new one

9. Robert stuart Bell

Robert stuart Bell Rsb78LT

Been fighting the same issue with my car since the first time I pulled the block, I have the exact same pan and gasket with a cheap chrome timing cover.
    Seems the gasket doesn't like sealing against chrome so I wiped a layer of permatex' right stuff in the channel on the bottom of the timing cover and the lip on the top of the pan, haven't driven it since but after about 10 hours of run time it isn't leaking yet

10. GPN

GPN Veteran Member

We ended up reinstalling without RTV with exception of 4 corners. Perfectly dry so far after 150 miles—some high speeds.
    Tnx for your response (and nice looking car)