Running out of electric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN
It's not FUD, it's reality, Todd.

You didn't answer the question I asked, Todd. Why is that? Is it because you don't want to document the truth?

You used numbers for your electric BMW that don't correlate to how most of us use a vehicle. You get those numbers because of the very limited way that you use THAT car, which is a short range commuter vehicle.

There is a reason you still own multiple ICE cars. If you could get those numbers with your total automobile usage, you'd have replaced all of them by now. But you haven't and won't for the foreseeable future. I know you've done the math and your failure to act says it all.

I'm willing to admit that there may come a day when I could see purchasing an EV. Why haven't you really taken the plunge and become entirely EV? Because it's not practical?

ssupercoolss

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2015
PA
EV's intrigue me, and one could probably work for me. Not against buying one, but at this point, i dont need a new vehicle, and spending XXX over and above the cost of an ICE car, might not even make sense for how little i drive my personal vehicles. Weekends in the winter i drive somewhere around 200 miles round trip for the weekend. looks like some cars could do that on one charge.

Todd80Z28

Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 11, 2002
Northern VA
It's not FUD, it's reality, Todd.

You didn't answer the question I asked, Todd. Why is that? Is it because you don't want to document the truth?

You used numbers for your electric BMW that don't correlate to how most of us use a vehicle. You get those numbers because of the very limited way that you use THAT car, which is a short range commuter vehicle.

There is a reason you still own multiple ICE cars. If you could get those numbers with your total automobile usage, you'd have replaced all of them by now. But you haven't and won't for the foreseeable future. I know you've done the math and your failure to act says it all.

I'm willing to admit that there may come a day when I could see purchasing an EV. Why haven't you really taken the plunge and become entirely EV? Because it's not practical?
I'm still not sure what you are so huffy about? How much ExxonMobil stock do you own? (I'm sure I have some in some ETF I have)

No I would not drive the i3 to FL- though I could, it would be a ridiculous adventure (now you got me thinking about it...). But we've only done that trip 2x since 2019- COVID ruined it and life got busy anyway. I use the car the same way I used the last one- mostly to go to work and run errands (stores, groceries, swim taxi, etc...)- you know, like a city car. I hadn't driven my previous car on a road trip in about 5 years before I sold it. "The way most of us use our vehicles" is probably quite similar to the way I do. I don't NEED every single vehicle in my house to go 400+ miles between refuel. I've done day trips to WV, Central VA, and MD in it, 80-120 miles one way. It's not a big deal. The i3 came with a Range Extender also- a 650cc scooter engine that is hooked to a generator, should you find yourself without electrons. My buddy at work who convinced me to take a serious look at i3s has one. In his 2.5 years of ownership, he's used it twice- which is why I didn't bother.

We're headed to FL next month, we'll take the MDX, I'll bitch about the price at every pump along I-95 (may break $90 per fill-up, we'll see). But it fits the family, the little car doesn't. The same would be true if I bought a Spark, or Sonic, or Prius as a gas sipper commuter.

I won't buy another ICE vehicle unless it's a toy. We keep our cars a LONG time, the MDX will stay around for a few years for a number of reasons- mainly because it's paid for. But we are trying to use the little car more and more.

I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy an EV NOW NOW NOW. You can't anyway, there aren't enough, and it's a super crappy time to buy any car now, it seems. What I'm saying is- when you are ready for your next car- something you are going to buy anyway- strongly consider an EV. Advances are happening at crazy speeds- battery tech, charging infrastructure, charging speeds, range, all of it. What you think you knew from last year or even last quarter isn't quite the same. If you're in one of those less-populated places that will take forever to get charging infrastructure, consider a PHEV (plug-in hybrid)- something with 20-40 miles range before the engine kicks in- that would be useful for the numerous "around town" days.

I don't see gas getting a lot cheaper for a while, if ever (that last bit sounds stronger than I mean it to). There are macro reasons for that that have little to do with who is in office- exploration/extraction boom-bust cycles that are inextricably linked to the price of a barrel of oil. I think we're on the high cost side of that for a few years. Maybe think about getting off that roller coaster.

Last edited:

Rosster

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2020
I'm still not sure what you are so huffy about? How much ExxonMobil stock do you own? (I'm sure I have some in some ETF I have)

No I would not drive the i3 to FL- though I could, it would be a ridiculous adventure (now you got me thinking about it...). But we've only done that trip 2x since 2019- COVID ruined it and life got busy anyway. I use the car the same way I used the last one- mostly to go to work and run errands (stores, groceries, swim taxi, etc...)- you know, like a city car. I hadn't driven my previous car on a road trip in about 5 years before I sold it. "The way most of us use our vehicles" is probably quite similar to the way I do. I don't NEED every single vehicle in my house to go 400+ miles between refuel. I've done day trips to WV, Central VA, and MD in it, 80-120 miles one way. It's not a big deal. The i3 came with a Range Extender also- a 650cc scooter engine that is hooked to a generator, should you find yourself without electrons. My buddy at work who convinced me to take a serious look at i3s has one. In his 2.5 years of ownership, he's used it twice- which is why I didn't bother.

We're headed to FL next month, we'll take the MDX, I'll bitch about the price at every pump along I-95 (may break $90 per fill-up, we'll see). But it fits the family, the little car doesn't. The same would be true if I bought a Spark, or Sonic, or Prius as a gas sipper commuter.

I won't buy another ICE vehicle unless it's a toy. We keep our cars a LONG time, the MDX will stay around for a few years for a number of reasons- mainly because it's paid for. But we are trying to use the little car more and more.

I'm not suggesting everyone go out and buy an EV NOW NOW NOW. You can't anyway, there aren't enough, and it's a super crappy time to buy any car now, it seems. What I'm saying is- when you are ready for your next car- something you are going to buy anyway- strongly consider an EV. Advances are happening at crazy speeds- battery tech, charging infrastructure, charging speeds, range, all of it. What you think you knew from last year or even last quarter isn't quite the same. If you're in one of those less-populated places that will take forever to get charging infrastructure, consider a PHEV (plug-in hybrid)- something with 20-40 miles range before the engine kicks in- that would be useful for the numerous "around town" days.

I don't see gas getting a lot cheaper for a while, if ever (that last bit sounds stronger than I mean it to). There are macro reasons for that that have little to do with who is in office- exploration/extraction boom-bust cycles that are inextricably linked to the price of a barrel of oil. I think we're on the high cost side of that for a few years. Maybe think about getting off that roller coaster.
If EVs become more popular expect fuel prices to go down as 60% of electricity come from natural gas- a byproduct of oil drilling. More EVs= more elecrical demand = more oil drilling to generate nat gas.
since more drilling will occur and liquid fuel demands will drop, pump prices will drop dramatically.

Last edited by a moderator:

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
Around my area electricity runs about 14 cents a KW. Not sure how efficient the charging system is but full charge would be under ten dollars I'd think. But in cold weather there is a battery warmer that draws something like 6 kw when in operation to consider too. A Tesla is an amazing machine in my book, but my >checkbook< won't get me in one.

Jimmac

Veteran Member
Dec 24, 2013
tucson az
I think a ev would be a decent A to B around town car for most people that use cars for back and forth to work. But a few things that would hold some of us back would be the cost of a new EV. if I'm buying a $40k car, it's got to have a bed, 4 doors and be able to take my toys into the desert. a 5000 dollar beater tesla to go back and forth to work would be great.
And we all know once the EV honeymoon is over there will be a milage tax added to the electric cars so they can pay their fair share of taxes.
say a average family owns 2 newer cars, you would want both to be able to go on a road trip at the drop of a hat. Or do you own 1 out of town car and 1 in town car?
On the chargers, for folks renting, do they make portable take them with you when you leave chargers? if you own a older home with a 100 amp panel, does that mean you need to upgrade your panel?
These people pushing ev seems to think the average American family brings home 200k a year, and can just go buy a 40k car along with rent, credit cards, day care etc. jim

Dave Nelson

Veteran Member
Dec 19, 2003
Vineland N.J USA
I
I hope you see what trying to be funny and make us laugh gets us Dave.....:p
I'll try again Dave.
1648209886495.png

The Champ

Veteran Member
Sep 14, 2000
MN

Who is being "huffy"?

Outside of mutual funds, I don't own any brand oil stocks. I don't buy individual stocks.

"The way most of us use our vehicles" is probably quite similar to the way I do.

I respectfully disagree, as confirmed by several other posters on this very thread.

Not everyone can or wants to buy a vehicle to use primarily as a "city car" for short commutes and running errands.

We're headed to FL next month, we'll take the MDX, I'll bitch about the price at every pump along I-95 (may break $90 per fill-up, we'll see). But it fits the family, the little car doesn't.

A moment of lucid thought....;)

We keep our cars a LONG time, the MDX will stay around for a few years for a number of reasons- mainly because it's paid for. But we are trying to use the little car more and more.

We share keeping our vehicles for a long time. My current daily drivers are paid for also (2021 CT4 and 2019 Equinox) and don't have plans to replace either in the near future.

Your trying to use your little car more and more, but as noted before, "the little car doesn't" fit your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts