Rusted out truck picture. Beat that!

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by sal70ss, Jul 31, 2018.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

In Minnesota that is what we call Astro Ventalation.

2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

In cases like that (and I've dealt with this on a regular basis for the last 35 years) I would tell the customer we're doing it all, or not doing it at all. Change one blown line while the others are ready to blow, you're leaving yourself open to all sorts of legal bull****...... there's far too many ambulance chasing lawyers that would love to have a shot at that one.

budro6968 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

This was my neighbors friend. I did it in my driveway. I was not working as a mechanic in a shop. I did tell her I could do a whole system to make it road worthy but she just wanted something fast and cheap. I told her I did not want to be responsible for her having an accident. I refused her after that. I always get someone trying to get something done on the cheap. I just tell them sorry I don't have time. I have my own stuff that I have to take care of.

4. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was doing a favor for a friend who needed a brake line replaced ages ago. I take a peak and find compression fitting after compression fitting. Some weeping, some connected to a couple inches on rusted brake line into another fitting. I offered to help him replace the lines but he wanted a quick fix. I said yea..no

5. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Wonder what the new Fords will look like in 10 years here in the snow/salt belt?

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I was thinking that the other day. Aluminum gets a film of corrosion on the outside that stop further corrosion. That's why British cars have so much electrical trouble. It's softer and I've seen sides peeled off when they sideswipe something. I think the hardware (bolts) and parts that have to be steel (brake lines) will be the weak point. 20 years from now, we may see older equipment where the bodies fall off.

7. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

I don't believe the rust is going to be the bigger issue. The problem with ford is the same has always been, poorly engendered ugly junk,

tom3 likes this.
  8. Dentguy

Dentguy Veteran Member

I thought it was amusing that last week it was repairing a dent on the bedside of an F150 and took taillight out for access and the inside was rustproofed from the local guy who mechanics and body guys have been mf-ing for 30 years... I guess he’s got a special aluminum formula.... or a great sales pitch.

9. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

it won't matter....NOTHING lasts more than 10 winters

my buddy just did rocker panels & cab corners on his 2008 Silverado...the rust here is REALLY bad

10. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

10 year old truck, not surprised.

I cringe when I get a work order for anything older than 2012 or so...... first step in most repairs is to wheel the torch over...

351maverick and sal70ss like this.