Salvage yard Air Conditioning into my 57 Chevy

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by jeff swisher, Jul 29, 2019.

1. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Since there was not a spot to put this in the forum I will post it here in Oklahoma.

It is 99 degrees F. outside now.
    I pull my Pontoon to the Oklahoma lakes with my old cars and decided it is time for AC.
    So I walked around the salvage yard looking for a car to donate the AC system .
    It needed to have the flat cooling coils on the condenser and a fan needed to be mounted on the condenser.
    Lines needed to not go across the engine and the evaporator and fan motor needed to fit under the dash.
    Serpentine belt driven also.

I found a 2004 Isuzu Axiom that looked like it would fit the profile.

I had to add a couple Idler pulleys to keep the standard rotation water pump.
    Yes serpentine with standard rotation water pump. I ran it like that without AC for a few years No idler pulleys.
    The fan pulley is made from a Ford pulley and a Chevy pulley welded together.
    I needed the Ford to sit deeper towards the engine to make things line up.
    I have driven it and it blows cold and I have just about $120 in the entire deal including the 70" belt.
    I took a 2 conductor flat extension cord and wrapped it around the path of the pulleys and marked the length.
    I have the condenser mounted a few inches away from the radiator so the radiator does not pull air through it very well so I need to be going down the road at 25 MPH or more to make it real cold.

Here is a picture or 2.

Attached Files:

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Jeff, you are just too much. lol. That's amazing! Great job! Good example of necessity being the mother of invention.

jeff swisher likes this.
  3. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

That's awesome...

jeff swisher likes this.
  4. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Nice, very nice. Way to be a builder.

jeff swisher likes this.
  5. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Makes me think of the guy removing the vintage air from his Camaro. Life leads us in different directions. :bowtie:

jeff swisher likes this.
  6. SRGN

SRGN Veteran Member

I like it. Love to see good old American ingenuity at work. Maybe make a shroud between the radiator and condenser to help airflow? I'm sure another junkyard crawl can find suitable materials.

jeff swisher likes this.
  7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm a tinkerer too, but I think you just put me in my place, that is awesome, great job. People that can improvise, build and overcome obstacles like you did are far and few between nowadays. BravoZulu (Navy for great job!). Gonna go sit in the corner with my dunce hat on for an hour or two till I feel worthy.

8. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm a tinkerer too, but I think you just put me in my place, that is awesome, great job. People that can improvise, build and overcome obstacles like you did are far and few between nowadays. BravoZulu (Navy for great job!). Gonna go sit in the corner with my dunce hat on for an hour or two till I feel worthy.

9. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind words guys.
    Just poor boy at work in the garage.
    I think my best was the 1982 Ford mustang rack and pinion steering I grafted onto my 1978 Nova.
    It was quite easy really and took longer to make the outer tie rods than it did to weld and fab the rest of the system.

I welded the Ford to the Chevy tie rods and it looked like a factory outer tie rod when finished.
    Feel sorry for the guy that needs to ever replace them :)

I had ground both tie rods to form a Double V after cutting them then welded them up quenching in transmission fluid after each pass around the tie rod.
    Fun with welders I suppose.
    I may one day install rack and pinion on this 57 chevy but not until the factory system peters out.