Saving a Gen II

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by DLY, Oct 9, 2019.

1. DLY

DLY Member

NO second Camaro came home Sunday, if anyone was curious.... I call them "bondo-babies"... Still needed sheet metal work, motor and trans, doors, interior.... Not a "north of 10 Grand" car... in my opinion. However, remember, I paid $2500 for mine sitting on a new rotisserie, which I've subsequently sold... so figure I actually paid about $1250 for a shell and a title. I have "just a little bit" more than that in it now though... Will get back to work on it tomorrow, went walking with the wife over the weekend and the knees are still bothering me a little. Will give them another day to rest up.

2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Glad to see you have a good body guy working on getting it done. Hope it doesn't get stuck in paint jail.

Hope the body cooperates with the want to work on the car, I know that doesn't always happen at the same time.

3. DLY

DLY Member

Gutted: I really think I have the right guy to paint it. He's just a small local guy, but what a great reputation. Would have never found him had I not stopped to look at another car that was for sale in his yard. Unlike a lot of guys, I go by and check on the car all the time at the paint shop. If work has stopped, the car will come home. Even in pieces if that's the way it has to be. It will not be stuck in "paint jail".... Plus, when mine goes in it will be the only one getting paint at the moment... And, he'll need to turn the car to get his booth back. I have enough experience with him that I'm actually not worried about getting it done, only being able to pay. Figure a really good paint job will be into 5 figures... The truck was, and I'm actually hoping to have a better paint job than is on the truck! (You had to know the car would turn into this, after all....) Will be posting up more very soon! I now have a deadline so a great deal of progress must be made before the end of the year! Paint in January!!!

4. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

I have no doubt the Camaro will turn out great, the quality and attention to detail have already shown through.

Keep us updated on the progress and as always pictures are greatly appreciated ;)

5. DLY

DLY Member

Reference back to the earlier pictures and compare to the "finished" fit on the RS front end. Gaps are now where they should be.
    06F72899-A044-490C-BF28-D83DAE29A0E5.jpeg
    And the fit of the header/valance/urethane nose....
    A3EBA173-EEA2-42F5-81E4-C31339378F20.jpeg

roadrace2 and BillyDean7173 like this.
  6. DLY

DLY Member

Couple more. Can you load video?? Working on wiring, it should start very soon!!!
    52B41659-6DC2-4BCE-8236-9C4199044769.jpeg E0B1334C-378C-4642-96B4-42733ACA0353.jpeg D5783CC5-6FF5-48C4-8A3A-4F459D430963.jpeg

roadrace2 and [email protected] like this.
  7. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Dang, you were right, your body guy does do a great job.

Looks great, can't await to see it painted.

DLY likes this.
  8. DLY

DLY Member

BUSTED.... update. The serpentine system will not work! I've read in Hot Rod magazine about putting the serpentine system off of vortec head truck on these, how wonderful everything fits and works... but it doesn't. In the final fit-up I've got a couple of issues going on. First, the nice orange powdercoated breather cap is very tall... And will hit the stock hood. Am trying a shorter element first, and will have to make sure it will flow the CFM's required for the engine. That's the first problem. Second problem is that the a/c compressor will be much too high with this serpentine set up. Taller than the breather actually. So, I now have to decide between trying another GM platform, like a Gen III Camaro serpentine set up from a '88 to '92; or go ahead and bite the bullet and buy an aftermarket system. As consideration, one from CVF racing or March, or somebody. Really don't want to go all the way back to V-belts, but guess I can if I have to. Maybe Dirty Dingo Sliders to get the engine down another inch or so? Thoughts???

9. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Sorry, no help with your problem but thanks for the insite to that serpentine setup not fitting, guess I'll use the one I have on the C10.

10. DLY

DLY Member

Might fit on your Camaro, not certain. Remember, I've lowered my car with both lowering springs and solid bushings between the subframe and the body. Installing them the way I did brings the body down somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch on the subframe, therefore effectively raising the engine just a little bit. Plus, the fittings and the top of the compressor are barely touching the hood, so you might be OK. I would suggest measuring. I also have a serpentine system on my Dad's truck, and measuring it also assures me it will not work on the Camaro either. Have thought about the Camaro system more, believe I'll just order the set up from CVF Racing. It's one of the more affordable systems out there. What I'm more concerned about today are the wheels/tires. The rally wheels I'm using for rollers are 15x8 wheels with a 4 inch backspacing. They are extremely close to the lip of the fender on the front, although the rears are fine. I may have to run a staggered wheel/tire set up for clearance. Will know more once I get the rest of the weight on the front end (fluids)... However, based on some measurements on my '68, you would have no problem with the serpentine system on the C10.

Guess I'm stupid for trying, I now have a powder coated serpentine system complete with new power steering pump and alternator that I guess I'll have to sell. Even have the idler and tensioner. More stuff for the swap meet next summer I guess... That or use them on my square body (which will still leave me one to sell either way)!