Saving a Gen II

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by DLY, Oct 9, 2019.

1. DLY

DLY Member

Well, it isn't quite Thanksgiving and we hit an important milestone today... There is life in the old girl!!

Pre-lubed the engine and set the timing. Put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank to verify fuel pressure at the throttle body. Had the guys at the race shop set up the Sniper for me... Made sure there was juice at the distributor. Had to turn the key just to verify the starter would work... engine turned over about a time and a half (about a second.... really....) and she lit right off!!! Since I don't have the serpentine belt on yet, and no water, she only ran for about 5 seconds and shut her down, but she fired right up and sounded perfect! Will know more after we install the driveshaft and get the coolant in her, but things are looking up!!! So excited to hear it start! Will lock down choice of a breather this week and finish things up underhood...

Have the appointment set and am still planning on paint in January!!!

[email protected] and thesalboy like this.
  2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Congrats:)
    All the hard work has paid off and it's always so rewarding to hear it fire off after all the work put in.

But it never hurts to put up some pictures to help us see what your talking about ;)

3. DLY

DLY Member

Proof of life???
    AAB8EB14-2273-4226-BC6E-9F1E73423E1D.jpeg 8CC6E2EC-0FA4-4278-A0C0-B11A90A64EA0.jpeg 5D1231A1-884E-4AE3-8B62-F93325B130A6.jpeg

Some exhaust... RPM's on the tachometer... and a shot of the nearly completed engine bay!! I've driven it!! Only up and down the drive, and onto the lift, but it runs, drives, shifts and stops!!!!

I'm very excited!

4. DLY

DLY Member

181E6F7A-6CC5-4F26-A1BF-9BACEF771373.jpeg

Am struggling with ride height. I put stock springs back in, as with the UMI lowering springs it wouldn't turn the wheels, and the exhaust is almost on the ground. Some minor clearance issues with the transmission crossmember, and getting the exhaust under it. Somebody used 2 1/2 inch pipes....

peteegger likes this.
  5. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

DLY,

Looking good. It's always so rewarding to hear it fire off and drive after all the hard work put into them.

I like your gauges :), just put the HDX version in mine last week.
    gagues.jpg

Did you have to use a low profile air cleaner to get it to fit under the stock hood?

I know what you mean regarding the exhaust, mine is lowered 2" in the front and my exhaust is maybe an 3/4" below the subframe and it is always scrapping on something, annoyes the crap out of me.

You still on track for getting it painted?

6. DLY

DLY Member

Gauges look good! I'll have to get a good picture of mine... Looks like you have the same steering wheel adapter that was on my original column. I've got a 4 bar factory style wheel now, but not the "rope" one; the one for the standard cars. I just like it better. Back in the day, we put a steering wheel wrap on to make us all believe we were driving sports cars, and I plan to do the same again!

My exhaust was maybe a couple of inches off the ground with the 2" drop springs... Just too low. I couldn't get the local muffler guy to call me back, so I just bought a set from Summit Racing. It was WAY less expensive. Paid less than $300 for the kit. Included the crossflow muffler, all the pipes, elbows, fittings and clamps. Went right on. It's made by Thrush, and has a nice deep tone. Actual brand is Dynomax. The pipes are 2.5 inches, and it sounds pretty good. Louder out the back than inside, which of course is what the wife prefers.

I got a deeper base for the breather, and went with a 2.5 inch element. All I had to do was modify the inside of the top by having the machine shop grind it down and put a new threaded insert in it, and it solved my issues. It's pretty busy under the base with the TV cable, throttle cable, and cruise cable, but it all seems to work! I did go with a CVF Racing serpentine system which was affordable... Will have to wait and see how it holds up.

Finally, yes, it's going to paint the first of January. Paul (the painter) says 2 months, figure it will be at least 3. Gives me the rest of the year to finish it, as my actual deadline is like March of 2022. Will make it loads earlier than that. May make Good Guys this year, might not. Am not going to get in a hurry and rush things.

We got everything working though. The gauges all work, the a/c works, the heat works, the cruise control pins out and seems to work correctly. Will get an alignment done, order some wheels and finish my measuring before it goes to paint! Then will just have to clean things up, get a radio installed, make some minor modifications to the interior trim, and get my seats figured out. Loads of work to do, but much less than where I was a year ago! If you remember, my goal was to have it running by the end of this year, and since everything pretty much works, I feel I'm way ahead of my stated goal.

Thanks for your interest!

7. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

You are right, the CVF stuff does look pretty reasonably priced compared to some of the other stuff I have looked at.

You still don't have those seats mounted yet, what have you been sitting on during those test drives?

I have a radio installed but never turn it on, it makes it to hard to hear the exhaust ;)

8. DLY

DLY Member

Gutted72: Look close at that picture of that car on the lift.... I've got that driver's seat bolted in there!!! No heated and cooled yet, but it's rock solid and good enough for a pass up and down the driveway!!! And trust me, when I'm done with amps and speakers, you'll be able to hear the stereo over the engine....

9. DLY

DLY Member

New wheels... Ordered the 17x8 and am test fitting on front. Will double check on rear; hope to order the 17x9's for that end... Have to buy 1 tire and test fit first. Am being cautious and trying to make sure everything will work before just spending money... Paint next week!!! (I'm so excited...)

4A0D2463-AD72-4989-8A8F-B010309A3426.jpeg 34F8E69A-C26A-4518-9B3F-D058A5CF7B1D.jpeg

10. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Pretty :)

I have 17 × 8's all the way around and just reesently noticed that the tires are rubbing the paint off the sway bar on both sides. Not sure if it's due to the wheel/tire size or the brand of sway bar (hotchkis).