Saving a Gen II

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by DLY, Oct 9, 2019.

1. DLY

DLY Member

Gutted72: Do you happen to know the backspacing on your wheels? And the size of your tires? Year One assured me that 245/45-17's would clear everything. I'm also not running a stock sway bar, my subframe/car didn't have one on it when I purchased it. So, I've added one from Pro Touring F Body... It's their GenIV one. I'll have to check the diameter of it. It's an excellent quality heavy duty unit though. Was planning to add their rear sway bar as well, had to get the exhaust hung first though... And of course now I'm out of time because it's going for paint! I'll put it on the lift and install the tire, have the wife turn the wheels and check. I'll make sure and check all 4 corners before I buy any more wheels. My backup is to run these on the back and get 2 stock 15's for the front... Thanks for the information, will be sure to double check clearance on the sway bar!

2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

DLY.

17 x 8's with 4" backspaceing on all 4 corners.
    Front tires are 235/40/17, rears are 255/45/17

Driverside sway bar
    drive side sway.jpg

Passenger side sway bar
    pass side sway.jpg

Not sure way it rubs on the sway bar but it does.

3. DLY

DLY Member

Gutted: Thanks for the information... Yes, the "roller" wheels and tires I'm using are also 8" with 4" backspacing. I don't have any rubbing issues, but with the car lowered I couldn't turn the wheel without fender issues... Plus dragging the pipes... Will do some checking on tire sizes and get back with you. I'm basing my information from what Year One said would fit with a stock suspension... So, I'll find out Monday. That's when I get the tire mounted and will do my test fit-up. Thanks for the information!

4. DLY

DLY Member

OK, have done my homework... The wheels from Year One are 17x8 and 4 1/4 inch backspacing. I thought this would be better, as my 8" rollers with 4" backspacing run near the outside of the fenders. So, I'll be just barely inside of where I am right now, and I don't have any interference issues with the stock height. Per Year One, the tires they say will fit are both taller, and wider than what you are running. Yours are 9.3 inches wide on the front, and 24.4 inches tall... What they say will fit are 9.6 inches wide and 25.7 inches tall. So, barely wider and a little more than an inch taller. I'll find out if they fit or not Monday.

With regard to the rear, I'm really hoping to run the 9 inch wheels back there. They are 5" backspacing, so the front will be exactly where yours are... and the same as the ones I'm using as rollers. According to the ones I have, I should have ample room in the rear. Tires again will be slightly wider and taller, Year One says a 275/40-17 will fit, and if they will, they are 10.8 inches wide (versus 10.0 for the ones you run) and 25.7 inches tall versus the 25 inches on the ones you have. Guess I'm asking how much room you have in the rear fender area as well??? Do you have an extra 2/3 of an inch or so of vertical room, and an extra 8/10ths of an inch clearance between the tire and the inner wheelhouse? Again, I can order another set of 8 inch rims for the rear, and use the tire (s) I'm experimenting with, and go down a size on the front end if necessary for clearance.

Guess I should have measured closer? I tend to jump and then have to figure things out after the fact, when I actually try to think things thru first and not make mistakes. Guess I'll see Monday.. Will post up pictures of it when I put it on.. (had to order the tires Thursday, my source didn't have the 245/45 in stock, and Discount Tire said they wouldn't sell them to me since they are not the recommended size for the vehicle...) Maybe if there are clearance issues with the sway bar, I can use one of those very thin spacers that go between the wheel and rotor? I had to run them on my '35 Ford truck, and never had an issue with them. Maybe 1/4 inch or so, looks like you are barely touching the sway bar? I'm assuming under full lock turn as well...

5. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

The back has no rubbing or clearance issues at all
    rear.jpg

The front has plenty of clearance also, but for some reason it rubs that sway bar. I plan on buying some new tires and increasing the side wall in hopes of gaining a little softer ride quality.
    front.jpg
    front 1.jpg
    Dang it, just noticed I have some clear coat runs :( , looks like I need to get the sand paper out.

6. DLY

DLY Member

Gutted 72: The 17x8 wheels from Year One work perfectly. No interference issues whatsoever... Tried both sides, turns lock to lock, rubs nothing... Tried them on the back, and I have plenty of room for the 17x9 wheels and wider tires back there. Still going to have to find a way to lower it about 1 inch in the front. The fronts seem to be closer to the rear of the fenders, maybe I can change the angle when I have the alignment done?? Regardless, will order the second tire, and wider wheels in the morning. Should post a picture, but since we're moving and I've sold the lifts, it was just too much trouble...

7. DLY

DLY Member

Well, it's been 23 days without a computer... Am now in a rental house in a different city, and have purchased land and am starting the new home process... Figure it's going to cost at least as much as we sold the house for, so not sure why I'm doing it... but I'm doing it.

For the record, the Camaro is in the paint shop and the C10 is in the garage with a horn relay issue. Will get to it in a couple of days, have to locate the battery charger first. Will post up some pictures of the Camaro after I go check on it next week. Since my e-mail and everything is changing, I may not post much in the near future, but will get back to you as things progress. I have been unsuccessful in my attempts to "hot-wire" the seats to work. Even turned my excellent mechanic friend loose on it, to no avail. Will have to figure out an alternative way to make these things run... I will post more later, have to beg your indulgence as my plate has gotten very full very quickly.

8. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Good luck with the new build, hopefully you purchased enough land to maybe build a garage that will hold all your toys.

I have heard that getting the heat to work on the seats requires the computer because it actually controls the power, not the switch.

Don't forget to keep us updated on the progress and maybe a few pictures when the Camaro gets some color on it.