Saving a Gen II

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by DLY, Oct 9, 2019.

1. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Even though it will take some time and MONEY to get everything to fit, it will be worth it and you will be happier in the end. It is looking good.

I seriously considered going to the RS front end but since I don't have the skills required to fit that stuff or the money, I stayed with the standard and yes that re-poped stuff doesn't fit any better :(. So needless to say mine is a 20 footer.

2. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

Too bad you are going with 17's, I have these sitting up in the shop collecting dust
    wheels.jpg stuff.jpg

3. DLY

DLY Member

Well, the nice thing about paying an expert is that things get completed... 8F1732D0-7C50-440D-9521-7AB293C1982D.jpeg
    Nose is assembled, hood installed, and now it's back home to get it running. I am so anxious to actually drive it around... Have had to push/pull drag it everywhere. Bet it hasn't actually moved under it's own power in 15 years!

4. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

That shot makes me wish I went with the RS front end. They just scream muscle car.

DLY likes this.
  5. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

It's never too late. I started buying factory RS parts a few years ago as a challenge just to see if it was possible without breaking the bank. With some help and lots of luck, I just need the license plate bracket now.

Originally, I didn't like the RS front end all that much and was just gonna sell everything as a package. My wife actually mentioned to me about switching out the standard front end on the 71 to the RS. She knew that I wanted the 71 to look different than the 73Z (standard front end) in as many ways as possible. I never even thought about it before, which is embarrassing but true. With the blessing from a friend that gave me the correct standard lower valance for a 71, I decided to make the switch to RS.

Fortunately, the 71 is still a project, so it's not like the car is done. But even if it were, I'd still be going for it. Time and money. It all goes into the car somehow anyway. Might as well be for something you really like.

DLY likes this.
  6. DLY

DLY Member

Thanks to both Gutted72 and BD7173 for their comments.... Time and money... Have never heard it said with any greater eloquence... This car, although not a true '70, is the one I wish I would have had the money/skills when I was in high school... And although purists will undoubtedly scoff, it's another one saved from the crusher. It wasn't going anywhere when I sourced it.

I've always loved the RS front end. And of course, my original was a standard sport coupe so of course it didn't have one either. But I've always loved the look. And, it bothers me when you get just the bumpers and not the complete nose, so I had to at least have all the parts to make it look correct.

Wish I could source the additional bracing, I'm sure it makes it all stronger. Will just go with what came in the kit, and be careful not to bump anything. Am going to go take the truck to the local cruise in tonight, will get some more done on the Camaro this week.

Found another one for sale locally... 1970 Z28. The body work claims to be finished. It's a stalled project that the owner has lost interest in. It does have an original RS nose, and the short spoiler. He wants quite a bit for it, but I do have a large pile of original parts laying around that I'm not using??? Have no idea what it's actually worth, but am going to go look at the "work" done on it tomorrow morning. IF it's decent, and not full of rust, I may go ahead and buy it (my wife will LOVE that won't she??). Again, I've enough parts to likely put another one together. Wish I would have found it 3 years ago when I sourced mine, it's the right year anyway. Will update after I look at it. That's exactly what I need... Another project. I've got my Dad's GMC truck scheduled next, and already have the frame finished and in storage... Guess I'll have to go ahead and build the shop I've been putting off.

One more picture for you guys... Can't help it, I just love this front end...

C981E9A5-9E00-448C-84F3-BE9BE5D8CED8.jpeg

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

It's great to hear you saved your car from certain doom. Love those stories. My 73Z was saved as well. Makes me feel like I contributed to the cause, lol. A lot of people on this site really helped me, so we all saved another one.

As far as purists, we all have our ideas of what should and should not be. I don't like seeing fairly original cars modified, but at the end of the day it's not my car so I really don't care. As many members say, it's your car so do what you want.

DLY likes this.
  8. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

DLY,

We all need something to tinker with because if not bad things happen ;). (Like buying a Ford). Your wife must be more understanding than mine cause I'm not allowed any more toys until I'm done with the '68. Little does my wife know, I have a 1956 210 waiting to be redone after the '68 :)

9. DLY

DLY Member

For the record... My wife is very understanding, a wonderful person, and the love of my life. I made her a promise with regard to vehicles... That I wouldn't have more than one at a time that doesn't run. Guess it's time to get that Camaro back in the garage and get it running!!! (My dad's truck does run, so I'm still good!!!!)

Again, she helps me out in the garage, gives input on colors and interior choices, went with me to the charity cruise in tonight... Just puts up with all my madness. She is very good to me, and I'm lucky to have found her, and still be with her. She is by far my better half! (Even helps turn wrenches when asked... really what else could be better??)

10. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

I completely understand. My wife is definitely MY better half, she keeps me grounded and mostly out of trouble. I still can't believe she has stayed with me for 34 years. I believe she is even starting to think like me and that's scary ;)