SBC 427 HP question

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by larry_anthony, Dec 20, 2012.

1. larry_anthony

larry_anthony Veteran Member

I just ordered a SBC427 shortblock from White Performace. The compression ratio will be 10/1 and my heads are World Products Motown220 (2.08 intake valve and 220cc runners). The cam is a hydraulic roller around a 600 lift (not sure of other specs). Initially I will have a Sportsman dual plane intake and standard 750 double pumper Holley Carb but plane to upgrade later. I was wondering how much horsepower I can expect. Fred, owner of White Performance said I should be around 600 and that's where I hope to be.

I also plan to use Hedman ceramic headers with 1 3/4 primary size. Do you guys think those are sufficient?

Thanks!

2. 79CamaroZ28

79CamaroZ28 Veteran Member

I dont thing your gonna see 600 in that combo, 525-550 is more realistic. You can not effectivly "over head" a big inch small block of this nature. The dual plane intake and 220 runners are gonna hold it back a little but it will be a stump pulled for sure.
    My 436 sbc has dart 230cc platinum heads and a pretty large solid roller with a single plane and 950 Carb isn't even 600 and I'm a full point more compression also.

3. larry_anthony

Thanks. Would a different intake/carb get me closer and if so what do you think I should go with?

4. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

yeah i tend to agree....the lower side of 600....like 500-550(fwhp)......I'd also like to see how it runs with more carb....950-1050 and a single plane (for track)

in a typical 2nd gen I'd expect mid to low 11's......if that is what you are shooting for....

in a honda 8's

5. 79CamaroZ28

Depends on what your plans are for The car and hood issues. If its gonna be a hotbstreet/strip car a holley 300-25 strip dominator intake and 850-950 Carb would be a good choice...really depends on the full cam he has spec'd for you tho too. A dual plane intake would be fine on that motor for street driving and down low power but restrict it up top.

6. larry_anthony

This will be a street car and will see the track very seldom. Would a single plane intake work well for street use or is there an intake that would be a good compromise between track and street?

7. larry_anthony

Also I have a 3" cowl hood I believe.

8. 79CamaroZ28

Weind air strike intake port matched to heads with a 1 inch open spacer. This combo on ky 383 went 12.01 verses 12.28 with a victor Jr intake. All the tests I've seen has proven that this is a good compromise vs a single plane intake.

9. larry_anthony

Thanks. I think I'll get the engine running with what I have then research intake/carb configurations and will definately look at the Weind Air Strike. Hopefully by then I can afford to put more money into it!

10. steve wvu

steve wvu Veteran Member

i just seen where fred dyno one with afr 220's and it was 650 hp...i was just at freds shop sat morning and bought a 434.that place and the guys working there are a great bunch of guys..