SBC or LS1 and Average Cost of LS Swap?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by sandiego74, Nov 19, 2020.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

This is what I was afraid of. I’m not debating which is better overall. I know the LS is superior, and I know it’s what I want eventually. I feel like, though, if I went through the time and money to get an LS3 working, I wouldn’t be happy because it’s not an LS7, and that’s what I really want. I always told myself that if I went the LS route, it would only be for an LS7. Would the LS3 be more than enough for what I’m looking for? Of course, but it’s not what I want. Sounds childish, I know...

How much do you figure I’d spend to get an LS3 running well in the car?

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Went through the same iteration with many parts on my car. It a nice feeling to have what you want in the end, but its irritating wasting money by not going that route on the first go. I surely lost money on my crate 355, lost money on my LS1 and many other parts. The LS7 is a pretty robust platform, but I think its over priced. I'm actually looking at the LT4 right now....If you look around, you can put together an LS set-up very economically. People like I have are always living in regret and sell nice parts relatively cheap. I have no doubts I could do one for less than $10K.

sandiego74 likes this.
  3. sandiego74

I agree: the LS7 is definitely overpriced. $10K is a lot for a penny-pincher like myself. I’d have to be REALLY happy with it if I spent that much. I know I’d be happy, but it wouldn’t last, I think, because, again, it’s not what I wanted. I feel like I’d have to spend $20K to get what I wanted, and that just bothers me way too much. Hell, I could put that money towards the CCW classic’s that I want, giving the car the bodywork it really needs, or a 2017 SS sedan that I REALLY want...

I think at this point, I’d be content with a crate SBC. It wouldn’t really be what I want, but I’d be happy that I didn’t spend a ton of time and money getting it to work, and it would be way more fun than what I have now.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

First off, nice runs sandiego74, your car works very well, simple, robust and has all the right parts without crossing over that line.....($$$$$)

I would really look at some of those 383 sbc crates, the bang for the buck can't be beat...

sandiego74 likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

At this point.....I kinda wish I had bought a new vette rather than investing in the sec gen. No matter what you do, these modern car's capabilities are light years ahead. I don't care what suspension you got, what engine...its not running down a C7 or C8.

Rayden2009 and sandiego74 like this.
  6. sandiego74

Thank you, and exactly what I was going for. I just want a low-budget car to have fun with. I’m not trying to beat everyone and make it to the Optima Ultimate Car Shootout Challenge event, though that would be awesome. I just want it to be a bit more competitive, and actually have some power to back up the muscle-car heritage. Like badazz81z28 mentioned, if I really wanted to go fast and beat everyone at autocross, it would be a lot easier in something like a C5...

Do you guys think the Blueprint 383 will fit the bill, or should I go with the 355 or 400?

7. badazz81z28

What is your budget for an engine?

8. sandiego74

Great question, and it’s hard to say, honestly. You said I could pay $10K, probably more in my case, to get an LS running. I could do that with my budget, but I don’t want to be irresponsible with money while I’m trying to buy a house soon and now have a son. So I don’t have a particular number in mind; only what sounds reasonable to spend right now considering the circumstances.

$5K for a crate 383 or 400 that is ready to drop in and go sounds pretty sweet.

9. sandiego74

Again, though, I think I’ve made up my mind on the SBC vs LS. Now I just need to decide which SBC is right for what I want the car to do.

351maverick likes this.
  10. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you want a nice competitive sbc built check this shop out , the build very nice engines

http://www.arceengines.com/

sandiego74 likes this.