SBC or LS1 and Average Cost of LS Swap?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by sandiego74, Nov 19, 2020.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i saw the 619 area-code and my eyes lit up. Thank you!

2. 2ndOwner78

2ndOwner78 Member

I know you seem to have made up your mind about a SBC at this point. But for future readers of this post I'll add this to give a little more clarity on the issue of cost of an LS swap that hasn't really been addressed. I see Hedman just introduced it's 2nd Gen Camaro "Swap in a Box" kit for all the mechanical items needs for an LS swap into our cars. This was to be a 2020 SEMA roll out.

Looks like just short of $1100 for the lowest cost headers for the OP's situation. Up to $2038 if you want the stainless, polished and coated headers.

Comes with - Headers; Engine Mounts; Transmission Crossmember; Oil Pan; Hardware and Gaskets

So for about $1100 you can have your LS and tranny sitting in place with the headers installed.

Now add the cost of engine, harness/computer, radiator/fan, accessory drive system, accessories, fuel system upgrades and everything else that I missed (plenty I'm sure).

I know there are plenty of kits out there for this already but this is new to the market and had a price so I thought it would be helpful to all to the thread.

https://www.hedman.com/ls-engine-sw...goryID={"subCatID":"200","newSubCategory":1}&

HedmanSwapInBox.jpg

sandiego74 likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The kits are what drives the cost up! You don't need a special oil pan...$200 adapter plates....the price is outrageous just like Holley. It makes it simple....but not economical. My Detroit Speed headers are over $2,000....not a fair comparison. There is high end and stuff that gets the job done.

4. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Interesting find, nonetheless! Thanks for the input!

2ndOwner78 likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Fuel system is quite the bugaboo. Autocrossing and racing up the performance demands (as does power). I don't want to be gasping for fuel or be forced to run a full tank. Wiring and quality tuning are another cost consideration.

I have a tendency to try maintain oe quality and reliability, so I recognize when I price this stuff out for me I have an inflated view. Fast, cheap, reliable: pick 2

sandiego74 likes this.
  7. BonzoHansen

If you have to pay to install the engine, the labor costs for the whole project will start to add up quickly.

8. badazz81z28

When shops charge $100/hr....oh yes!

There are cost savings out there...I just posted a Ricks tank from Ebay for only $375!

9. BonzoHansen

And the quality, experienced shops cost more because they know the corners you can't cut.. and likely won't touch anything that looks problematic. Like used part crapshoots and folks with caviar dreams and tunafish funds.

sandiego74 likes this.
  10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hello....Did someone call me? :rolleyes: