SBC or LS1 and Average Cost of LS Swap?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by sandiego74, Nov 19, 2020.

1. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So... as for which SBC I should go with based upon my wants/needs...

BonzoHansen likes this.
  2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That's why I have a fully forged roller 383. Thanks to a guy doing an LS swap. The car was already set up for sbc, so maybe $2500 later I'm doing OK. And it gets driven.

sandiego74 and John Wright like this.
  3. sandiego74

I’m thinking fully forged and roller, too. I could see how a torquey 383 would be good for small courses, like at Goodguys, but would it be good in higher RPM ranges that the courses my SCCA sanction sets up would require?

Again, I’m not knowledgeable and inexperienced with this kind of stuff. I understand the basics, and just like to drive the car hard.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

What if I told you my 10sec. 406 has less than $1000 in it, can crush C6 Z06's with an LS 427 and supercharged LS3 ZL1's.

sandiego74 likes this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

You can make killer power with a nice .030 400 SBC and a good set of Vortec heads. More than 450hp just dripping out of a combo like that. If I have time I am going to take my last 400 that really needs a rebuild, toss it in the car to get a baseline at the track then swap to a set of Vortec heads to see the difference. No other changes.

sandiego74 likes this.
  6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Mine pulls past 6000. Heads and cam matter too. But yeah I think you'd be happy.

I know guys that run short stroke 377s and they seem happy.

Whatever gets you out there without 2 years of downtime is the way to go. :)

sandiego74 likes this.
  7. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

I would ask for a parts list to build a 406 for a $1000 lol I can't even get machine work done on a block for that

Rayden2009, BonzoHansen and 1980RS like this.
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Come'on man....why do you spread this rhetoric? Be realistic...Its not about an ET which is very subjective with the vehicle set-up and power to weight ratio. A 350hp car set-up to drag race will give me a run for my money too, but I will have a higher MPH because I have more power. Unless you have a garage full of spare parts or very generous friends, you're not building a 406 that makes 600hp for $1000. You'll have that much in decent heads alone. You surely hate LS engines....but put your car on a road course and see how well your car actually does perform against LS7s and SC LS3s...I spin my LS7 to 7200RPMS. These cars are fast!! In full trim too.

Rayden2009 and sandiego74 like this.
  9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If I were to do it....use an after 400cid market short block (if you already have good heads) or long block with 1pc RMS and is roller cam ready and would be pump gas friendly. You may have your car set up differently, but I like the torque and grunt down low for launching out of the corner and power on the straights to pass those pesky Mustangs.
    A friend of mine just had Don Kowolski put a forged 383 together for him and it was north of $5000 that should make around 550. Don told him to bring it back once he gets it squared away in the car and put it on the chassis dyno to iron the tune out to see what it will do. Block and heads were reused, but all of the rotating assembly was new, forged parts plus the machine work.

10. sandiego74

I really like the idea of starting off with a short-block and throwing on everything else myself. That way I’d get to learn a bit, too. BUT, I also like the idea of having a long block completely built and built right that has already been dyno’d and comes with a warranty.

If I do buy a shortblock, can a 400 spin up to 7000 RPM with a hydraulic roller cam, or does it have to be a solid roller?